We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire in Kimberley

Which Kimberley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire in Kimberley

It has no doubt been asked before but incase anyone has any up to date information.......we're travelling to Kimberley 21st Dec to 4th Jan and were considering hiring a car for a few days or a week. We'd like to do Fernie and or Panorama a couple of times to break it up. Also a car would help with shopping etc as we are SC.

I believe there is nowhere in Kimberley that we can hire a car? Would it be possible to travel to Cranbrook and pick one up there or even Cranbrook Airport? Or have it delivered to the resort? I have emailed a couple of car hire companys and didn't get much help to be honest.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Perry

16 replies to this topic
Rockies BC
Level Contributor
848 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire in Kimberley

rent from Budget at the airport or in downtown Cranbrook. Mgr is Ryan & he & his staff are great. Ask for snowtires. If you want their direct phone line PM me. PS is Slater's Menswear still in business??

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire in Kimberley

Thank you, you wouldn't have an email address instead would you?

Yes, Slaters is still going strong!

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire in Kimberley

Canadian Rockies International Airport - is halfway between Cranbrook/Kimberely - has several of the North American based car rental companies on site. Small arrivals area sees their smiling staff immediately across from baggage carosels. . .

Best to arrage to pick-up when you arrive at the Airport. 15 minute cab ride into town - either Cranbrook or Kimberley - is over $50.

Fairly certain you can use Trip Advisor to discover costs for renting. As you likely already know; make sure you have you own insurance coverage for your rental. Most Credit Cards offer &/or your existing auto insurer may pick-up third party liability and own damage coverage. .

This year's Christmas ski season - always open regardless of actual conditions - was the best in the past 15 years. .

Happy trails!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire in Kimberley

Thanks for the reply eastpouce, we are flying into Calgary and have transfers arranged (package deal) so we wouldn't be able to pick up a car until 1st full day or 2nd day. Car rental companies in the UK deliver to you, do you think this would be an option in Kimberley?

Really looking forward to spending Christmas and New Year on the slopes!!! I assume you are local to Kimberley, would you mind if I pm'd you some questions before our trip?

Thanks again,

Perry

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire in Kimberley

Yes, I live right on the KAR; happy to answer your questioins.

You need to know, in advance, that ski conditions during the Christmas season tend to be "touch and go" . . All area Mountains open up, without fail, due to large number of property owners + sheer business volume. Mother nature being who she is - there is no way to know what this season will be like. . February is the best month, typically, to ski the Canadian Rockies; in my mind. .

www.skikimberley.com

www.kootenayrockies.com

Google search "Cranbrook, B.C. car rentals" - all the local service providers have their contact info posted.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
848 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire in Kimberley

I would echo what EastPouce says re the conditions (I live at the same elevation as the base of the hill, just not on the hill!) on the hill - I don't generally ski until after Christmas...

That aside, you might be surprised to find that email for business purposes is not so ubiquitous out here in the hinterland of BC - I have found the best way to go with renting with Budget is to reserve online and then follow up with a call to their office in Cranbrook at their direct line where I get Ryan the mgr or one of his very helpful staff, such as Doug. I have just run the "numbers" through the Budget website & if you were to pick up an intermediate car at the airport on Dec 23, & return it Jan 2, you would be paying $414.11, with taxes $557.72. Not cheap, I know, but I have found BUdget in Cranbrook to be completely reliable & they always come through with snowtires when asked. If you chose to book over the internet I would follow up with a phone call a few days later to make sure they got the reservation, also to ask for snow tires, & I would call again a week or 2 before you were scheduled to pick up your vehicle........

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire in Kimberley

Here is some sage "free" advise, if you are a "newbie" at the rent a car game. . .

independenttraveler.com/resources/…

Budget and other multi-nationals serving the Kootenay area should be as reliable as any, anywhere, for successful delivery of electronic booking through "anyone'. My biz books 30 +/- car rentals in every corner of North America each year; no major events to cause you worry.

"No snow" - your ski/expectation levels may not be disappointed in what I rate as "poor" - may not actually matter. Time/place and "terroir" could be enough "magic" - ?

see the "Hot Springs" link here; www.kootenayrockies.com

Outdoor pool/hot tub a "nice touch" for any winter vacation - these two "true" ski/out locations have "it all". . .

www.northstarmountainvillage.com - on the mouintain at the top of the Owl T-Bar.

www.tricklecreeklodge.com - resort base steps to "everything".

Actual "ski in/ski out accomodation" = PRICELESS. Head's up that "Slopeside Accomodation" anywhere in North America doesnot neceessarily equate to a "comfortable walk in your ski boots" to get to the lift lines. . Having to warm up/clean the ice/snow off your car+ benefits of lunch in your unit/simple creature comforts of your bathroom/kitchen/afternoon "nap" etc. etc. make a ski to/from your room the greatest single positive in any ski experience. . It's the difference between having a port hole window deep in the belly of the cruise ship vs. a two bedroom upper deck suite. Spend your money on your room and all will be well; snow or snow you will not be disappointed.

Cheers

Edited: 12:25 pm, June 19, 2011
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire in Kimberley

Thank you both for great responses and for the time taken to do so!

I'll have to give the car hire some thought, it looks quite expensive but we may go for it nearer the time once we know if we can afford it. (Car hire was never budgeted for!!)

I don't know whether I should be concerned about the "touch and go" conditions over the Christmas season or not, do you mean that there will be snow, there just won't be loads of it? In Sotland if we get about 12" that is considered a lot! Is that what you mean? Am I right in saying they "make" snow if there is not enough to ski/board?

We are staying in the Trickle Creek Condos, i know this isn't ski in/out but we weighed up the condos v lodge and decided the condos would be better for us. Have you heard / do you know any good/bad points about these condos?

Many thanks once again.

Perry

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
848 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire in Kimberley

EastPouce is definitely better qualified to answer questions about accom than I am so I will leave those questions to him.

As for the conditions, yes we mean there might not be "lots" of snow. I generally find the runs too "rocky" and "twiggy" ie rocks & twigs sticking out until after the new year, just not enough snow. At my age I can't afford a broken leg so I don't want to have to keep focussing on where exactly to place my skis on the run to avoid hazards, I just prefer to relax & cruise (I stick to groomed runs!) That said, there are certainly some years that are better than others so you never know - the snow might be just spectacular. As for making snow, they can only do so if it's cold enough. Also there aren't snow guns all over the mountain, just in strategic spots only, so I really wonder how much of a difference the "made" snow really makes?? (EastPouce I'm sure can answer that one better than I can....).

And good to know Slater's is still there! DH's parents are from Glasgow, he got some tweed jackets there almost 20 years ago & we would love to go back & get some more, but travel to the UK isn't on the horizon for some years to come.......

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire in Kimberley

Good news - nice "brand new" accomodations. Have recently walked by and they look very nice with outdoor pool at least one of the builidngs (yours?). Also - has underground parking so, at the very least, you won't have to clean the snow and ice off your rental car to start they day. .

Bad news - you will DEFINITELY need "transportation" to get back and forth to the actual "Ski Hill base + anywhere else". It's gong to be VERY awkward without you/someone in your "group" having a set of wheels at your disposal. There are zero commerical "premises" of any kind, groceriies;alcohol, etc; NEAR and only one restaurant that is quite a long walk in the dark of winter on uphill/downhill slippery roads);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXSRB2bw-Nc

Edited: 5:37 pm, June 20, 2011
Reply to: Car Hire in Kimberley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted