We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring the Gaspee Peninsula in July

Germany
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Touring the Gaspee Peninsula in July

Hi all

We (ccouple from Germany) are planning a trip to the Gaspee Peninsula in Juli. Its a part of our roundtrip through the Atlantic Provinces. Does anyone have any recommandation what to see and where to stay? For the complete Gaspee roundtrip from Rivere du Loup to the NB border we like to spent 3 to 4 nights.

Thanks in advance for your help

Andy

Montreal
Level Contributor
294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring the Gaspee Peninsula in July

Schborch,

Hello & Welcome to the Quebec section of TripAdvisor.

I am from Montreal but was born in Gaspe and will try to answer a few of your questions as best I can.

You say your starting your trip from Riviere-du-Loup and heading East towards Gaspe, and then following the coastline to the NB border and back to your starting point. If you plan on only spending a few days on your trip, I would suggest spending a large portion of it in and around the Town of Gaspe, and the lower side of the Gaspe-NB border region.

I would leave Rivi��re-du-Loup and make my way up the coast and stop here and there to take pictures whenever you felt like it at some of the little villages along this route. With the Ocean on one side and the often sheer rock faces on the other, the little villages are often very small and cozy. One note about the route into Gaspe. If your traveling at night, or if you don't trust your car, then take Route #198 that runs through the town of Murdochville and on into Gaspe. If you stay on Route #132 that runs along the coastline and back into Gaspe though Riviere-au-Renard, then be prepared for dramatic views of the Ocean and of the mountains, but beware of the roads very steep hills.

Some of the places that you shouldn't miss are, the Forillon National Park. This park is a World Heritage site, and has great things to see and do. The town of Gaspe and the surounding little towns have many places of interest for the Traveler, just spend some time and explore. Perce Rock is another famous place to visit. A trip to Gaspe wouldn't be complete without a photo of your group with the Perce Rock in the background. Another place is the Bonaventure Island bird sanctuary. They used to offer boat tours to the island to see all the different nesting birds, I don't know if they still do.

I would try to do two more things on your trip to the Gaspe Region. Eat a Lobster dinner, and take a Whale watching trip. I think that would just about top off your trip.

As for lodging, I am not sure what types of places you want to stay in. There are many different types of small Motels right along the Ocean that are offer basic rooms and Great views. You should do some Research to find a few that suit you best.

If you do stay in the Town of Gaspe, I can suggest "Adam's Motel". This Motel has been around for a long...long time and just about anyone who has passed through the town of Gaspe has heard or stayed at this Hotel. It offers nice clean rooms and has a great location in the center of town. You must book early, because Adam's and for that matter most of the Hotels get booked up in advance around the Gaspe region during the July holiday period.

I hope this helps you, and if you have any other questions or comments, just post them.

UK
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring the Gaspee Peninsula in July

Hello -

I agree with almost everything Dale said - Dramatic views, basic but cozy hotel/motel/gites, good seafood, hiking and walking in Forillion National Park and many other places... Difficult driving along the north shore, so do it during the day for the views and the cliffs.

You must stop in Perce and walk out the sand dune to the Perce Rock, or take the short boat ride to Bonaventure Island and walk across to the gannet (bird) colony on the cliff. There are also, along the coast, many interpretation centres for the geology and geography of the region. Apart from the natural beauty of the area, you may be interested in some of the fossils found dating back many thousand years (see Paspebiac and Bonaventure I think). There are also a few pretty lighthouses on the coast, if that sort of thing interests you.

Have a great trip and post again if you have any questions.

Danielle

London, UK
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring the Gaspee Peninsula in July

Hi

Last year we toured the Gaspesie in July. The other messages give good advice.

You will probably want to stop somewhere between the NB border and Perce. I suggest you stop on the Wanta-Qo-T�� B&B. It is next to the World Heritage Site, Parc National de Miguasha. It is in a small place called Escuminac. One point worth remembering on this stretch of the drive is that most of the B&Bs and Hotels are on the landward side of the main road round the peninsula. They might possibly have sea views but you still need to look over the road to see the natural beauty of the sea. We chose Wanta-Qo-T�� because it was directly on the waterfront with private beach. You can see photos on:

http://www.bbcanada.com/595.html

We stayed in the green Wanta-Qo-T�� Suite. It was very large with beautiful views. The rooms are much nicer than the photos.

Have fun (we will actually be on holiday in Germany this July whilst you are in Quebec)!

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring the Gaspee Peninsula in July

Daniwonders wrote" Difficult driving along the north shore" yes it is not the autobahn but the good news is that the south shore will be much much easierfor you.

I wish you a good trip and good weather. First stop at a Bureau de Tourisme and get a guide for the Gaspe area they are essential, very informative with lots of pictures, mileage, maps etc. If you propose to stay in Riv. du Loup, Auberge de la Pointe have a very good meal plan that goes along with the room.10kms from Ste-Flavie you may choose to visit Les Jardins de Metis a beautiful garden with 30,000 kind of flowers and trees; $12 fee, but it will cut at least one hour from your trip.

If you have 4 days I would suggest 2 days in Forillon/Gaspe and 2 days in Perce; 3 days... it wouild be 1 day in Forillon and 2 days in Perce; You could easily tour Gaspe in a few hours. Forillon is very scenic with many nature interpretation activities..my favorite is The underwater world..last for about 2 hours on Wednesday and Sundays (subject to change??) If you want to stay close to Forillon there is Motel Pharillon in Cap des Rosiers (817 909 5200) fair but clean. $85 dbl. They have a good seafood dining room. In Gaspe (42kms) Motel Adams is good. At Perce 77kms from Gaspe, the best is Motel Mirage a bit pricey at $148 (2004) but new and with a grand view of the Rocher. There is also whale watching in Perce. IMO the best way to enjoy a lobster dinner is to buy it at a fish store; there are many. My favorite is at Bonaventure 134 kms from Perce; if yu want to picnic they will cook and cut it for you then all you will need is to find utensils and a roadside table and enjoy it at 25%

what you would pay in Paris. If you need more info, tel # I am also available to assist you. By the way I'll be there July 10 to 15.

Germany
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring the Gaspee Peninsula in July

@ ALL: Thank you very, very much for you help. Now I'm sure nothing can go wrong and we will have a fantastic time there.

CU in July :)

Andy