We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picnic area

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Picnic area

Hi,

We are planning to take a trip from Toronto to Ottawa and I'm wondering if there is a nice place along the way where we can stop and have some kind of picnic / snacks to get kids some rest. We will take food with us probably, just looking for a nice place with tables / benches / trees not far from the highway / main route.

I'm asking at this forum because Gananoque is kind of in between two cities and also I thought that maybe been a heart of Thousand Islands it might have nice places for my purpose.

Thank you!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picnic area

Take the Thousand Islands Parkway - exit from 401 past Kingston, just before Gananoque - and there are a number of places to stop for a picnic. The Parkway runs along the river, and returns to the 401 close to Brockville.

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
691 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picnic area

On your route there's Sandbanks Provincial Park on Prince Edward County and you can take the scenic route to Kingston via the short ferry crossing which was free. Also there's Kingston which is a nice small city with scenic waterfront. If you exit Kingston via the bridge, past Fort Henry and take a left to Kinston Mills there is a nice picnic spot next to the canal and series of lock gates. And also Gananoque as mentioned above.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picnic area

I should probably point out there are many different routes you can take to get to Ottawa from Toronto ... many of them much more scenic than the 401. It would depend on whether you want to make the drive part of the trip, or just want to get from TO to Ottawa quickly. If it is the former, then you could cut up to Hwy 7 via Hwy 35/115, through Peterborough and east along 7, which in summer is a nice route. Or you can go north from Kingston area close to the Rideau waterway system, through Smith's Falls, and along. Even getting off the 401 at Port Hope and travelling along the old Hwy #2, along the Apple and Loyalist Parkway routes to Kingston and beyond.

However if do want to stick to the 401, Gananoque or Kingston are logical points to stop.

Brian's suggestion of Sandbanks is a good one, however Sandbanks is at the south end of Prince Edward County and will add another 35-40 minutes of driving each way to and from the 401.

Perhaps play around with google maps, or even a real paper map (!) to see the various options.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,797 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picnic area

Hi toronto_travel_5;

I would suggest driving right into Gananoque. There is a beautiful park surrounding the town hall, with majestic 300+ year old oaks and maples, and a playground.

Take exit 645 south from the 401, to King Street.

Turn right on King.

The park and Town Hall are on the right, just before the Gananoque River.

http://www.gananoque.com/community/maps.html

The park by the river is another area to consider.

Best Regards

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picnic area

We've picnicked by the river in Gananoque which was nice.

Exiting at hwy 15 in Kingston and going north to Kingston Mills lock is another good suggestion.

I'd suggest too looking at google maps streetview at prospective picnic areas.

In the warmer months we usually just stop at the picnic areas in the service centres. They aren't generally scenic or anything, but they are very convenient to the 401 and do offer some respite from the hwy.

ktown

6. Re: Picnic area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, January 25, 2015