We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeley's Bay fishing.

allentown
Level Contributor
346 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Seeley's Bay fishing.

Just got back from fishing trip to Seeley's Bay. Stayed at Sunny Acres Resort & Marina. Had a nice time. Fishing was ok, surprised that they have a no size limit on the bass. Now we'll have to see if it will be worth going up to Canada any more. With the no size limit that's going to hurt. People don't realize your not going to get any descent size fish or even catch any. Time will tell.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeley's Bay fishing.

All sport fish have a numbers limit. There isn't a size limit on bass since 95% of them are caught and released. They aren't really considered table fare, unlike the walleye, which does have strict size and slot limits.

It's not to say that bass are not eaten by some, but just not by that many....just like a muskie which is strictly a catch and release fish.

2. Re: Seeley's Bay fishing.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, March 30, 2013
toronto
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeley's Bay fishing.

another bigot onboard

i have seen many NON AISIANs keep,kill etc etc small fish..

ck out the local freezers some time

keep your prejidices to your self pal

allentown
Level Contributor
346 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeley's Bay fishing.

Well I guess if all of us bigots stay home and don't come to Canada any more see how fast they want us back. I pay alot for a non resident license and spend alot of money when I due come there. I guess the resort owners and resturants in the small towns won't care if I don't come any more. It's hard enough for these places to make ends meet. If there are no more fish to catch - I guess the towns will fold up.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeley's Bay fishing.

fisher361, I don't think semiretired was being prejudiced. I think he was only reporting what he saw with his own two eyes. I don't think that makes him a bigot. I've seen every race pilfering our waters as well. I think in semiretired's case they were Asians....and if you've read the papers over the past few years they've be targeted for some pretty dubious practices. I just want to make it clear that I'm not agreeing or condoning with the violence against Asian folks either. I think it's awful and in many cases it was unwarrented.

I think there are a lot of ignorant people of all races that don't respect our resources. But I honestly don't think semiretired was being a bigot or prejudice for telling us what he saw.

Edited: 3:17 pm, March 30, 2013
allentown
Level Contributor
346 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeley's Bay fishing.

Thanks, Krustytripper. Well said.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeley's Bay fishing.

You are welcome semiretired. I don't think you are a bigot.

What I do think is that EDUCATION is the key here. May it be new Canadians or the ones that have been here for generations (that includes Native Americans). Without education our precious resources will be in great jeopardy. I'm sure we all want our grandchildren and their grandchildren and their grandchildren to be able to go out on the water and enjoy a great day of fishing. Without educating the few bad apples future generations will be out of luck.

Tight lines everyone.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeley's Bay fishing.

No one is "pilfering our resources" if what they keep is within legal limits, even if it includes dinky bass that you wouldn't personally keep. Limits are set assuming some people will take full advantage of them; they're not some inintended loophole. Everyone has different reasons for fishing, whether you want a trophy for the wall or just something for dinner. And Ontario actually offers its residents the choice of two classes of fishing license -- a "Conservation License" with reduced limits that is cheaper than the "Sport License", not sure whether non-residents have the same choice -- to balance those doffering needs.

As for size restrictions, it seems to me they're not used in Ontario as much as they are in other jurisdictions, though they are used in some cases. And when size restrictions do apply, they're not necessarily as simple as a minimum length. Depending on the species, zone, and in some cases individual lake, there could be a minimum size, a maximum size, a minimum and maximum size, or a prohibited size range. I don't know the science behind all of these regulations and I can't evaluate them, but I'm sure it's based on something.

While smallmouth bass are native to some Ontario waters, there are also lakes in the province where they're an introduced species that has destroyed stocks of native fish like brook trout through competition. And a daily limit of 6 with no size restriction is certainly not curbing their spread or dominance.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeley's Bay fishing.

Sorry tws but you are wrong about pilfering. There is a lot of poaching going on and many people are keeping over their limits. It happens all the time. Drop by any courthouse when they are handing out the fines to people caught fishing in a sanctuary, snagging fish, fishing without a license, having more fish than their limit, having fish not in the slot limits.

And anyone who keeps a 1/4 lb bass for consumption is an ingnorant fool with no regard for conservation. This is why people need to be educated. By the way, if everyone who went fishing kept their daily limit you'd see how quickly the fishing would die off. It doesn't take long at all.

10. Re: Seeley's Bay fishing.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, April 27, 2014