We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip in August 2010

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip in August 2010

Never been to Canada before. Flying into Syracuse NY and driving up for a week. Staying at a motor court in the area. Want to sigtsee and shop and just relax.

Anything I shouldn't miss?

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip in August 2010

Hello,

It would help to know a few more details. What are your interests? How far would you like to drive? Where are you staying?

The things I enjoy the most are the River Cruises, the 1000 Islands SkyDeck, and hiking the many trails in the area. There is a little shopping to do in Kingston and even more in Ottawa. The Sandbanks in Prince Edward County has a very large beach and Ottawa has countless touristy things to do.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,025 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip in August 2010

Hi bjackson10;

The town of Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), is known as the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands". From there you can take a boat tour of the 1000 Islands.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g182143-d13…

www.ganboatline.com/

They offer 1 hr, 2.5 hr, 5 hr, and 8 hour tours. The 5 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which was built in 1900 by the former owner of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs, as the island is in American waters. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g29794-d105…

www.boldtcastle.com/

While in Gananoque, check out the Thousand Islands Playhouse for great live theatre.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g182143-c88400/Gananoq…

http://www.1000islandsplayhouse.com/

If you decide to stay in Gananoque overnight, I strongly recommend the Islandview Inn Bed & Breakfast, which is located only 1 block from where the tour boats dock, and the St Lawrence River.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g182143-d619664-…

www.islandviewinnbb.com/

The Holiday Inn Express would be my second choice, but is located at the opposite end of town.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g182143-d578912…

For more info on the 1000 Islands;

www.1000islandsgananoque.com

www.visit1000islands.com/

www.1000islandsinfo.com/

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip in August 2010

Hi Bjackson10,

Welcome to the GANANOQUE (1000 Islands) TRAVEL FORUM.

It indeed would be helpful to know more about where you are staying exactly (you can always send me a PM if you don't want to post the info here on the OPEN Forum) as I know a lot about the area... I could probably tell you more about the property, location etc.

IF you are staying directly on the water... well then relaxing will be a breeze... if you are a bit farther away, then you'll probably take in as much water time as possible... there are some great Parks along the 1000 Island Shoreline.

With a car you might want to actually traverse at some point the whole 1000 Island Region... Kingston to Cornwall (200 Kms) and survey the whole area... and also learn about the St Lawrence-Great Lake Seaway... learn about The Lost Villages, visit Upper Canada Village... and catch a Laker in the locks at Iroquois.

Kingston makes a nice outing (30 minutes from Gananoque). You could easily spend a whole day there.

Ottawa - Canada's Capital City is about 1-1/2 Hours from Gananoque (expressway) and could make a FULL Day Trip (or an overnight)... lots to see and do here for sure.

A drive out into the country to the Rideau Lakes and along the Rideau Canal Route would be a nice outing too... Portland, Westport and Merrickville are all unique... Merrickville being the largest and having some great restaurants and shopping.

If you have more questions just ask... in the meantime be sure and check out some of the other posts here on the GANANOQUE TRAVEL FORUM for more info / ideas.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Of course a 1000 Island Cruise and a stop at Boldt Castle are a MUST DO... but you might also want to consider doing more than one cruise... the ones out of Rockport for example, concentrate on the Eastern Islands, and offer visits to Singer Castle as well... or maybe a Nightime or Dinner Cruise? And yes, the 1000 Islands Playhouse is first rate.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip in August 2010

I was planning to stay in a small motor court just outside gananoque. I don't mind driving but want to be able to get there and back during daylight hours...don't want to find myself lost in the dark in the middle of nowhere. I love to shop and sightsee not much into the physical activity and since I will be on my own I won't be doing a lot of hiking etc.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip in August 2010

Hi Bjackson10,

Re - Daylight Hours

Not much of an issue... as Canada has more daylight hours in the summertime than in Tucson... for example, by the first week of August we are still averaging 14-1/2 Hours of Daylight... about an hour more at the end of the day than you'd normally see in Tucson.

Example - August 7, 2010

OTTAWA

Sunrise = 5:54 AM - Sunset = 8:22 PM - Hours Daylight = 14:28:26

TUCSON

Sunrise = 5:45 AM - Sunset = 7:23 PM - Hours Daylight = 13:37:34

For more info check out...

Time & Date (Sunrise & Sunset) = www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip in August 2010

That is good to know. Now I can relax about the daylight thing. Can you tell I am nervous about traveling alone for the 1st time? Ha ha. Do you know anything about the Willowbank Motor Court? I saw it featured in the Nat. Geo. Traveler Mag. and thought it looked really quaint and affordable at $282 for a week. But I am open to other budget priced suggestions. Thanks.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip in August 2010

Never been inside the cabins so not much of a help sorry, but they certainly are cute from the outside.

ktown

8. Re: Planning trip in August 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 29, 2010