We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gananoque Restaurants

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Gananoque Restaurants

Hi Everyone,

The Question about Restaurants in Gananoque comes up often... and there continues to be a shortage of good places to eat in this town (or places that are only open seasonally - May thru October).

There are many take-out spots (Pizza and such) as well as some uninspiring spots along Hotel Row (east end of King Street)... but if one wants to find something more interesting then one has to venture into the downtown area.

For Breakfast, my personal favourite is Anthony's Restaurant (37 King Street East). They also serve Lunch and Dinner.

Anthony's Family Restaurant = www.anthonysrestaurantgananoque.com/

For Dinner, my personal favourite has always been the Gananoque Inn (550 Stone Street South). The Watermark Restaurant's Dining Room with windows on all four sides offers marvellous views of the Cruise Boat Dock and part of The Islands. And Muskie Jake's Tap & Grill is a great pub for more casual fare (and considerably less expensive than the fine dining found at the Watermark).

Gananoque Inn = www.gananoqueinn.com

And Paddy's Pub & Irish Eatery (490 Stone Street South - across the street from the Gananoque Inn) is a great spot for a pint and a quick bite. They have live entertainment on the weekends.

Paddy's Pub = www.paddyspub.com/

--- --- ---

So, I was pleased today (Thursday, February 25, 2010) to read in the *Ottawa Citizen* that Ottawa's local restaurant critic Anne Desbrisay has recently discovered another gem in Gananoque.

The Athlone Inn Dining Room features Chef Jason McMillan formerly from BC (Jasper Park Lodge as well as Restaurants in Vancouver) now works his magic in Gananoque.

Athlone Inn article = http://tinyurl.com/OttawaCitizen-AthloneInn

The Restaurant is open during the Off-Season - Thursdays thru Sundays and during the Summer Season (Victoria Day thru Canadian Thanksgiving) Tuesdays thru Sundays.

Athlone Inn Website = www.athloneinn.ca

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... I will be updating this topic (and the GANANOQUE RESTAURANTS REVIEW Section) in the months to come as I begin my annual visits to The 1000 Islands Region and report back on what is new for the 2010 Summer Season.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,043 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gananoque Restaurants

Gananoque & Restaurants in the same sentence...I don't believe my eyes.

lol

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gananoque Restaurants

We've actually had pretty good pizza in Gan at Moroni's I think it was called. Not in the same league as my favourite place down on College in Toronto, but my favourite I would say so far in Eastern Ontario. I guess it does fit the take out pizza category because that is what we did, but they did have sit down service. Anyway, my .02 cents.

ktwon

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gananoque Restaurants

TO RESCUE TEAM,

LOL, who'd a thought?

Anything is better than the food wasteland that was there 5 years or so ago. Since the arrival of Paddy's Pub things have certainly picked up *wink*.

--- --- ---

TO KTWONTRAVLLR,

Good to see ya again... and as someone who is "practically a Gan neighbour" your feedback is very very welcome.

I too have had a pizza at Moroni's (but it was several years ago now) and also have ate pub grub at a small spot across the street (bar with pool tables) we needed a spot with good tvs to watch a Stanley Cup Hockey Game. lol

Can't say tho that either spot stood out in my mind, so I haven't added them to this post. As I said, will be no doubt wandering down that way again several weekends this summer... so I'll be sure and check out what else is "happening" in the big town.

Hoping maybe to turn this into a GANANOQUE TRAVELLER ARTICLE on Dining by the end of the Summer.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

4. Re: Gananoque Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 26, 2010