We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Brooks to Waterton Lakes

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Brooks to Waterton Lakes

We will be driving from Drumheller to Waterton Lakes in one day in early/mid June. (We will have done Brooks and Dinosaur PP on the way to Drumheller and will be doing the dinosaur and hoodoo trails while we are there.) After Waterton Lakes we then head for Crowsnest Pass via Pincher Creek.

I am trying to decide what is the best route between Brooks and Waterton.

Straight driving, direct route with no stops - how long will the journey take us?

Having found that out, gives me some idea of how much time we have for stops on the way. We have a 2WD hire car so need to bear in mind what the roads are like - no very rough surfaces which could damage the car.

We are quite happy to get off the direct tourist route and to take our time driving. We like to have plenty of breaks with time to stop and stare. We like scenery and would welcome a chance to stretch our legs. We are also interested in history and archaeology. We are not bothered about a stop for lunch. And definitely NO SHOPPING OR HIGH ENERGY ACTIVITIES!

What route would people recommend and what about stops?

I have been reading about Writing on Stone PP. I know this is the long way round - but is it too far? How long would it take to drive from Drumheller to Writing on Stone and then to Waterton Lakes? This would mean taking Highway 501. Is this a reasonable road to drive in 2WD or is it not recommended?

Thanks

Eleanor

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from Brooks to Waterton Lakes

Thanks for all the help. Looks like Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump it is. I hadn't forgotten Royal Tyrell Museum - we'll have visited that when we are in Drumheller.

NOW for another question - which is the nicest way to get to HSIBJ? I'm using the Official Alberta Road Map. There's Highway 36 from Brooks through Taber and then west through Lethbridge to Fort Macloed.

OR there is Highway 23.

OR we can live dangerously and go Highway 539 and 845 to Coaldale and then either Lethbridge or cut across north through Picture Butte and Nobleford . .

If we do this, what is the road surfaces like? Is it OK for 2WD hire cars? (Our hire company does cover us for use on all road surfaces including gravel but we don't want to 'push our luck' on very rough or bad surfaces!)

Eleanor

12. Re: Driving from Brooks to Waterton Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:50 pm, January 12, 2009
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving from Brooks to Waterton Lakes

. . .oops sorry about the multiple post . . .

Eleanor

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving from Brooks to Waterton Lakes

You can always click the "Remove inappropriate" button and choose the "Remove My Post" option - presto, it's gone!

15. Re: Driving from Brooks to Waterton Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:26 am, October 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Brooks