We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campbell River vs Telegraph Cove for Bear Watching

kcmo
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Campbell River vs Telegraph Cove for Bear Watching

Since Campbell River is a bit closer to Victoria/Nanaimo where we will be coming from , we're looking at booking several nights in the Campbell River/Quadra Island area for bear watching, whale watching, kayaking for 3 days.

Just hoping that the wildlife viewing is as good there as it is in the Telegraph Cove area.

Any opinions on that would be most welcome. I've read about tour operators who take you to estuaries where you only see a few bears, or operators who don't pay the First Nations people the proper fees so you don't get to go to the viewing stands. I want to avoid that!

So any help on location and on legitimate tour operators would be most welcome. Thanks!! p.s. we will be there mid-September.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campbell River vs Telegraph Cove for Bear Watching

Sept is a good month for bear watching. www.hurricanejackadventures.com or www.aboriginaljourneys.com are two I know of providing good service, although I'm sure there are others.

Heriot Bay on Quadra offers kayaking (salt water) as does Strathcona Lodge (fresh water).

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campbell River vs Telegraph Cove for Bear Watching

I might ad that from Campbell River you will travel a little farther by boat to whale/bear watch, which could be a good thing. More opportunity to see things from a different perspective and your kids will likely have a blast! (Noticed on a different post you have children).

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Campbell River vs Telegraph Cove for Bear Watching

You'll probably be spending more time in a boat coming/going from Campbell River as opposed to Telegraph Cove-it's your call.

You can also snorkel with Salmon in Campbell River

http://www.campbellriversnorkeltours.com/

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campbell River vs Telegraph Cove for Bear Watching

I stayed at the Heriot Bay Inn on Quadra Island and booked their bear tour package through their Island Adventure Centre. They in turn actually book a company in Campbell River to collect you very very early in the morning for the tour. I can't remember the company name from Campbell River, but they take you on land to a First Nation's salmon hatchery. They have built several viewing platforms along small creeks where the salmon go and have experienced guides. It is really important that you choose this company in Campbell River because they are the only company with landing access. Obviously, staying at the Heriot Bay Inn or booking throigh the Island Adventure Centre guarantees this. I was told by the owners of the Inn that every other tour company out of Campbell River just does estuary trips and you have to hope the bears come down to the shoreline. Who knows how true that is?

And the later in September, the better the bear viewings as salmon numbers increase and water levels are low - perfect conditions.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Campbell River vs Telegraph Cove for Bear Watching

"It is really important that you choose this company in Campbell River because they are the only company with landing access"

That's true for that particular river-there are a number of different mainland rivers where Grizzlies feed on returning Salmon.

Careful questioning of tour operators is of course essential-as is an understanding that nothing can be guaranteed where wild animals are concerned.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campbell River vs Telegraph Cove for Bear Watching

I think the hotel gave you the wrong information saying there is only one company that take you up to the rivers. Last year husband and I went on Grizzly Bear Tour with Aboriginal Journeys from Campbell River. They are a family owned business and have been doing these tours for 10 years.

We took a boat ride from Campbell River and saw so much beautiful scenery, landed at Bute Inlet and took a bus to different platforms. The bus rides were short and the platforms were very large. It was mid September and we saw many bears! Aboriginal Journeys gave us a special, specail day! One we will never forget and always be grateful to Garry for. He is a down to earth, and knowledgable guide . We have made Canada our favorite destination and have now been on two tours with Aboriginal Journeys. After seeing the Grizzly Bears with Garry we came back to see the whales with him. I will always recommend Aboriginal Journeys, Garry tries very hard to make sure his guests are comfortable and happy. He tells you like it is, tells you whether it is good time for seeing wildlife. On our trip this year for whale watching, he told us it might not be good time for bears because of the tides but we were lucky.

If you want a unforgetable experience I would say Aboriginal Journeys. Its too bad that hotel was not honest with you!

7. Re: Campbell River vs Telegraph Cove for Bear Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 23, 2011