We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nelson

bathgate scotland
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
nelson

looking for things to do and recommended places to eat in nelson

Kootenay Tamil Kitchen
$$ - $$$, Indian, Fusion, Healthy
Oso Negro Coffee
$$ - $$$, Cafe, Canadian
Cantina Del Centro
$$ - $$$, Mexican, Latin
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nelson

Have a look at the "hellobc" website for Nelson (for things to do) -

hellobc.com/en-CA/RegionsCities/Nelson.htm

Also, the drive up Kootenay Lake to Kaslo is quite lovely and Kaslo is a rather neat "funky" place. You can tour a restored sternwheeler up there as well.

As for restaurants in Nelson, The All Seasons Cafe gets good reviews. It has been some years since we ate there, but I remember it being very good -

http://www.allseasonscafe.com/

The last time we were in Nelson, we had dinner in the Library Lounge at the restored Hume Hotel. It was quite good, and they have done a marvellous restoration job on the hotel -

http://www.humehotel.com/

Edited: 4:04 pm, March 29, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Nelson
Nelson
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Hume Hotel & Spa
Hume Hotel & Spa
745 Reviews
Nelson, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nelson

Another vote from me on the Hume, the food is great there. Also love DJ's Family Restaurant, downtown, The Royal is downtown as well and serves great food. Jackson's Hole is fabulous, Full Circle Cafe..... there are a TON of great restaurants in Nelson......

The Treehouse Restaurant in Kaslo is awesome too!

Mentioned in this post
Hume Hotel & Spa
Hume Hotel & Spa
745 Reviews
Nelson, Canada
Nelson
Nelson
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nelson

food at the All Seasons Cafe is great but the service is VERY POOR - check the reviews on this site & others. Bookstores in Nelson are great, spend some time down at the river at the park there. Peoplewatching is so much fun in Nelson! (quite a "hippy" culture there). And definitely take in Kaslo - the paddlewheeler Moyie is great, as are the various artisan shops there.

Mentioned in this post
All Seasons Cafe
All Seasons Cafe
294 Reviews
Nelson, Canada
Nelson
Nelson
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nelson

I had forgotten about Jackson's Hole, mentioned by Camping Girl above. We ate there last time as well and had quite a good meal. So, ditto her recommendation.

And, yes, EastBC, I see that the reviews about the All Seasons have deteriorated somewhat since the last time I examined them. It's too bad because I recall that the meal we had had on an earlier trip was excellent, in terms of both food and service. Perhaps, as one reviewer indicated, a change in ownership has had something to do with it?

snowbound B. C.
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nelson

A couple of years ago we stopped off in nelson and found The Outer Clove. An excellent place to eat, that specialized in garlic!

Definitely different, and definitely very good.

"www.outerclove.com"

bathgate scotland
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nelson

thanks guys you have all given me something to think about

all the best from scotland

7. Re: nelson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 30, 2010