We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black bears around Port Alberni.

Which Port Alberni hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,236 posts
Save Topic
Black bears around Port Alberni.

Hi all. Transferring this question by another OP from the general VI forum to here as I'd like to know the answer too!

<<I've read (probably in some sort of tourism materials) that in Port Alberni you can walk along Victoria Quay and see black bears across the river. If this is a high-percentage viewpoint it could add a good photography opportunity for Robert H (and myself, about a month earlier) that doesn't require an expensive tour. But how reliable is it, are we talking routine sightings or occasional sightings? Is it hugely dependent on time of day?>>

8 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Black bears around Port Alberni.

Hi there, I just moved to port alberni and just saw a black bear cross the rd near my house. once the salmon are en route down river I have heard many people tell me you will see them there all the time during salmon run they will be constantly across river and in our town too!! I think for a photographer you are in paradise on this island as there are plenty of beautiful places to take pictures and if your on ferry too at this time you will most definatly be able to photograph the killer whales in pods travelling through the georgia straight.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,236 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Black bears around Port Alberni.

Hi Lganner, thanks for the feedback : ).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Black bears around Port Alberni.

Thanks Lganner, and thanks Valiantsontour for re-posting my question as a stand-alone forum.

I passed through Port Alberni on Sunday and Wednesday this week. The interpretive signs on Victoria Quay suggested that bear sightings mainly happen there in the fall, and at low tide. The tide was fairly low when I went by on Wednesday, but didn't see bears either time. I did however see seals there on Wednesday - not that there aren't better places on the island to view seals, but it's interesting to see them in a river setting (I know it's a tidal estuary but it looks like any river).

I did have a couple of nice and close bear sightings on the road between Ucluelet and Tofino.

Vancouver, B.C...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black bears around Port Alberni.

I've heard about sightings at that point, but I have never seen a bear there. I am originally from Port Alberni, so I come back to visit each month. My mother agrees, that she has never seen a bear there either.

My mom lives in Cameron Heights on the south edge of town; we have seen bears frequently in her neighborhood (mostly at night, going through the trash cans) and down at the water's edge leading to Polly's Point.

Hope you see one!

Shannon

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,236 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Black bears around Port Alberni.

Hi Shan551.

Thanks for the reply, we will be there next June so no salmon to attract the bears, but we usually see one or two when we are travelling in areas that have good populations, so I'll be disappointed if we don't see one somewhere on Vancouver Island, and of course the possibility of Grizzlies whist on the mainland on the rest of our trip.

We'll keep our eyes peeled anyway, thanks again.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black bears around Port Alberni.

I just moved to Port Alberni and encountered to my surprise a black bear two days ago at the end of 10th Avenue close to the Fairgrounds. The bear was unconcerned although there was a bobcat within 50 yards.

I didn't know bears where that close to town and that common. I am a little concerned now.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,576 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black bears around Port Alberni.

If we can get bears in downtown Vancouver.....

(Ok, admittedly that one incident it hitched a ride there in a garbage truck, but still)

Edited: 5:32 pm, May 09, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,470 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black bears around Port Alberni.

lol, ferrets. This thread is 2 years old.

Valiants has a fabulous blog/Trip Report about their trip here that you might enjoy. Open this link: wmtravellers.com/trip-reports/…

Reply to: Black bears around Port Alberni.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted