We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Vancouver to Revelstoke in January

Oxford, England
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Vancouver to Revelstoke in January

Hi everyone,

I am coming on holiday to BC at the end of January and was initially going to spend my time in Vancouver visiting friends and Whistler. However, I have other friends who will be in Revelstoke at the same time and I am considering hiring a car and driving over for a few days.

I understand from other posts that it's about a 6 hour drive (driving time) but I was wondering whether this will be the case in January with snow on the roads. Also, would I need an SUV or would a regular economy/midsize hire care be OK for the roads.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist...

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Revelstoke in January

Unless you are familiar with driving on the right side of the road and driving in BC snow conditions, I think you should take the bus.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,305 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Revelstoke in January

I think it would depend entirely on the weather. It's possible that things will clear up between now and then and the roads will be quite passable, but if the kind of storm pattern we've been enduring on the coast continues, then I don't think I'd want to try it in a rented car.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Revelstoke in January

While the roads are mantained(plowed sanded) I agree that driving can be treacherous at that time of year.

If you do decide to drive then I would rent an suv and also carry chains unless it comes with winter tires. I would allow 8 hours for the drive. Here is the link to the current conditions/events on highway one today. In fact it is closed just past Revelstoke because of avalanche hazard and there is a warning of falling ice just as you go up the canyon by Yale. Just to give you an idea of what you may encounter.

www.drivebc.com has info and driving times

www.drivebc.com/byRouteEvents.jsp…

4. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Revelstoke in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 06, 2009