We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

Which Revelstoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland
Level Contributor
26 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

Hi, we will be in Vancouver next May primarily for an Alaskan cruise. I'm a big family history buff and one of my ancestors lived Revelstoke 1890's - 1950's so would like to take the opportunity to a brief visit, see railway museum etc.

My question is - what is the best way to get from Vancouver to Revelstoke? We will hire a car if that is the only way but would prefer public transport. 4 days is the maximum we can have unfortunately. Also we're not rolling in cash although have enough for comfort.Thanks.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

Driving would be the most common way. Taking the bus would be another, but wouldn't be the quickest.

About the only other options would be a plane charter to Revelstoke, or flight to Kelowna which is still a couple hours away by car.

Greyhound bus would appear to fit your request the best.

The options are listed here:

cityofrevelstoke.com/edc/…Transportation

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,111 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

Hi;

FYI…Revelstoke is approx. 356 miles / 573 km from Vancouver.

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

4 days is plenty of time; it's about a 8 hour car drive from Vancouver to Revelstoke. I would really recommend you consider a rental - it will give you a lot more flexibility. If you book with Enterprise, you will get unlimited mileage provided you stay within the province; it really is an economical way to travel.

You can take the Greyhound bus, but it will take a lot longer and a return trip for 1 person will run you roughly $170 CAD. You can rent a car for less than that.

Queensland
Level Contributor
26 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

Thank you all so much for taking the trouble to reply.

Sounds like car hire is the way to go for sure. Didn't realise it was quite so far so we will probably drive 5 hours and stop for the night- mainly to take it a bit slower to accustom us to drive on the "other" side of the road.

If anyone should have a "best" route would be chuffed. A loop would be very good, one way there and return another.

Thanks all

Mac

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

Revelstoke

Salmon Arm

Kamloops

Merritt

Hope

Vancouver

Highways 1 and 5 (which is a toll road) is the fastest route. I've also done the #1 all the way which takes you up through the little town of Cache Creek. For the other direction you could head through Kelowna instead of Kamloops on highway 97 and its lettered offshoots (i.e. 97c).

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

I would do wanderer05's route (in reverse) on the way there as it's the fastest route.

I'd take the "long" way back - Revelstoke to Kelowna to Penticton then either down to Osoyoos then to Princeton or direct to Princeton, depending on how much time you have left. From Princeton, the "Hope/Princeton" Hwy 3 back to Hope then Vancouver.

If you were to stop overnight on the way there, I'd suggest Salmon Arm over Kamloops. It's a nice little place and Kamloops is a huge city. I'd say just get there and do your research then have a nice trip back on the more scenic route.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

Oops - meant to add www.drivebc.com for distance calculator and www.hellobc.com for info and map.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,173 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

You shouldn't have any trouble shooting up there in one go if you get a good start in the morning. Merritt for lunch and Revelstoke for dinner, no worries! Take Highway 1 to Hope, then Highway 5 through Merritt to Kamloops, then back along Highway 1 through Salmon Arm to Revelstoke. I'd reckon on 5 - 6 hours of driving for the full trip.

I'd also suggest you come back down via the Okanagan Valley (our wine country). Vernon - Kelowna. From Kelowna (as mentioned above) you can jump back on the big highway to Merritt and back down to Hope, or if you can take the extra day or two, I highly recommend you keep going down through Summerland - Penticton - Oliver - Keremeos (Highway 3) - Princeton - Manning Park - Hope - Vancouver.

Queensland
Level Contributor
26 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

Thank you to all who have given great ideas. We're a bit new to this and never expected all this help. Looking at names on a map isn't the same as knowing about the names and that is what makes a site like this so invaluable.Thanks heaps,Mac.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,173 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best way to get to Revelstoke from Vancouver.

I was just rereading above - in particular the poster who said 8 hrs to Revelstoke. So, I want to be sure I'm not misleading you! We did this last year, so it's fairly fresh in my memory.

Heading up Highway 5 from Coquitlam (30 - 45 min east of Vancouver proper) to Kamloops was three hours. We had lunch with friends, then drove about an hour or so to Sorrento for the night with other friends. Next day we drove through to Golden (to visit with yet more friends) and I'm sure that was only about three hours, so Revelstoke would have been about 2 to 2.5 hrs from Sorrento. So, what's that... OK, maybe 6.5 or 7 hrs tops. I definately think the 8hrs is on the slow side. But that is driving time. With stops for meals, etc, you could be travelling for up to 12 hrs unless you decided to pack food and eat in the car. I guess it all depends on how you want to tackle it.

If you do decide to stop for the night before Revelstoke, press on to the Shuswap Lake area. It's pretty.