We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy Seafood

Which Sidney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
alberta
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Buy Seafood

I will be flying out, back home to calgary and want to buy some seafood at the fishmarket to take home with me. Has any one done this? Do I just buy a cooler, fill with ice and seafood, tape it up and check with my baggage???

Has any one else done this?

Any problems with Westjet?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy Seafood

I've travelled a lot of places with *frozen* seafood no problems but No Ice Allowed.

Dry ice might be allowed but check with WestJet first.

alberta
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy Seafood

Thanks Sam....I will do that.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy Seafood

Hi Rum-n-Sand (Love your User Name, BTW),

I remember a similar topic from about a year ago... at the time the Airline was Air Canada... I went looking for similar info for WestJet and unfortunately couldn't find it... but did find the page from Air Canada...

AC - Security Requirements & Dangerous Goods = aircanada.com/en/…security.html

As suggested, you'll still want to contact WestJet... but this info might prove as a starting point in your research.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... This shouldn't be that difficult the airlines see this every single day in the Maritimes... and of course a lot of them also take on Commercial Seafood for Cargo. So for sure you won't be the first person asking this Question (lol, which is why they should put the info on a easy to find spot on their Websites).

alberta
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy Seafood

Thanks Wine-4-2 (also love the name), that is great information....I will stop and see the Fish Market when I fly in Friday and get thier advice also...I think I am good to go on this now.

Thanks again....

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy Seafood

Hi Rum-n-Sand,

You are very welcome. As stated you should check with WestJet too... it is possible that they not only have size restrictions, but have specific containers they'll make you pack / repack into at the airport (like they do for other non-standard baggage items... Bikes, Skis, etc) something that might be clearly labelled as FRAGILE - SEAFOOD (or some such slogan).

Anyways, good luck with this Seafood Adventure.

Hey help another Traveller out, come back after all this is said & done and give us a TripReport to let us know how this all turned out for you.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

alberta
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buy Seafood

For sure....I will talk to Westjet and report back here as to my results once I get home.

7. Re: Buy Seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 19, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Sidney
More Sidney Topics