We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

Boston
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

We are open to any and all suggestions.

We will be in Canada approx. 7 days (we are flexible) and our arrival is wide open Sept or Oct.. I said our dates are open because you may recommend a particular event we should attend.

We do plan on starting in Bridgewater for a day to visit family.

Our only real requirement is to include the Cabot Trail. We would like to stay one night in

Cheticamp because the family tree goes back to there and we understand the family name is a common one there. (Aucoin)

We are not sure if we are taking the Ferry from Portland to Yarmouth or driving. Again any comments are appreciated. We could take the ferry one way and drive back the other way.

I realize this is wide open and I did it this way so we could have your thoughts with little or no restrictions.

Good time to plan we are have about 75" of snow so far and after I send this it is time to shovel again.

Thanks in advance

Massachusetts

12 replies to this topic
Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

Since you plan to be in Bridgewater, please consider a visit to both the Musee des Acadiens des Pubnicos (museeacadien.ca) & Le Village Historique Acadien de la Nouvelle-Ecosse (acadianvillage.museum.gov.ns.ca) which are located in the West Pubnico area. There are indeed many Aucoin family members in the Cheticamp area but you might get an extended Acadian history with a visit to West Pubnico. The Musee closes earlier in the season than does the Village so please check their dates of operation. There are several restaurants which serve Acadian dishes along the Acadian Shore.

Boston
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

Thank you very much. I appreciate the feedback.

Steve

Maine
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

What have you decided on? Just checking out the ferry from Portland. A bit disappointed in how expensive with our car.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,800 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

hi

one option is to drive Portland Me to St John NB and take the ferry to Digby and drive east to get to Bridgewater. With 7 days you do not have much time to spend in the Halifax area and then get to Cape Breton and back to the US border. https://goo.gl/maps/ofLCc

Between Digby and Bridgewater there is Habitation Port Royal which is well done reconstruction. …wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitation_at_Port-Royal

Recommendation is to see Lunenberg from Bridgewater which would mean 2 nights there.

In Cape Breton other then Cheticamp there is a rich Acadian heritage on Isle Madame, I can trace our family back to 1743 in Arichat and Petit de Gras. http://imhs.ca/

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

Amy, depending upon where you are going you may be better off just driving. The road from Bangor and through New Brunswick to Nova Scotia is very good. From Amherst to Bangor is under six hours. If you are going to Cape Breton, this is the way to go. http://goo.gl/maps/KOnI1

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

doing the cabot trail...i stayed in cheticamp for 2 nights. that way, i did part of the trail one day and returned to cheticamp. then the next day, i explored more of the trail and spend 2 nights in baddeck. went to fortress louisbourg the next morning as i worked my way back to halifax. it was a nice relaxed schedule and i managed to see all that i wanted.

Hubley
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

A real nice ride is to travel from Yarmouth through Acadia, Digby and the Annapolis Valley (sty a night in this region) .From there you can go to Bridgewater and Lunenburg, maybe stay in one of these 2 places. It is a long drive to try to go the Cabot Trail from the Bridgewater area and just spend 1 night at Cheticamp, maybe spend a second night at the exit of the Cabot trail in the Baddeck area. If you have the time a visit to Fortress Loiusburg but that is out of the way if you only have a week including travel time from and to Mass. Mid oct is the most beautiful time on the Cabot trail.

Edited: 5:45 pm, May 15, 2014
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

The ferry from Portland to Yarmouth has reduced their prices. http://novastarcruises.com/schedule/fares/

Sd
Level Contributor
294 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

We are interested in doing this trip also. Many years ago we took the CAT from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth but could only stay a few hours. Have always wanted to do this trip again and spend many days in NS and PEI. It seems this is an easy area to drive. We would make lodging arrangements ahead of time so suggestions are appreciated. Digby fascinates me!

Would love to hear reports on the new ferry from Portland to Yarmouth. We are considering a one way trip as we love Maine, especially Eastport.

46_portland, thanks for getting this link going.

Ladyfeathers

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help

Hello Ladyfeathers. It would help if you could start a new thread with your questions. Tell us how long you would be able to spend in Nova Scotia, how many people would be coming, what time of year you would be coming, your interests and what types of places you would like to stay.

The first ferry went from Portland to Yarmouth on Thursday evening. A few people were interviewed when they arrived in Yarmouth and said they liked it very much.

You can start your research here www.novascotia.com

To start your new thread go back to the Nova Scotia page here and click on Ask a Question in the gold box near the top: tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154967-i326-Nova_S…

Reply to: Planning Sept / Oct vacation and we need your help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted