We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAT ferry

Which Yarmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
CAT ferry

I just got back from riding the CAT ferry from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor. I'd just like to warn anyone who is considering taking this ferry to reconsider their decision.

They advertise that there is a children's lounge. It is the WORST children's lounge I've ever seen. The seat backs on most of the chairs are so high that kids can't see the movie screen when sitting in the chairs. It is right next to the gambling area, so the noise from the slot machines carries over (plus, the toddlers all want to go play with the machines). There are no barriers preventing kids from going in & out of the children's area (perhaps this is to prevent a fire hazard, but it's still annoying). The changing station is inexplicably in the handicapped bathroom (you have to ask a crewmember to find out this tidbit, since there aren't any helpful signs around).

Even for adults, the CAT ferry was pretty lame. It was far too expensive for such a barebones ride. Each food area only had a single worker, so there were lines of customers going all the way down the rows. Meanwhile, the duty-free & gift shop had plenty of workers. If I ever go to Nova Scotia again, I'll be driving to Maine instead.

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CAT ferry

My Husband and I took the CAT to Bar Harbor from Yarmouth in October 2006. We have Harbour's Edge B&B on property on Yarmouth Harbour and we watch this ship come and go everyday in the summer. We took our motorcycle across on the ship and the staff were so helpful. It was a smooth crossing and the views were great! We would like to do this every year.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CAT ferry

Oh no! We are planning to take the ferry next June, we don't actually have a choice, because we'll rent a car which we have to leave in Yarmouth and rent a new one in Portland. We travel with two small children. The ferry is of course tye same to Portland as it's to Bar Harbour? Can anyone tell me, is there any place where we can store our luggage while on aboard or do we have to carry them with us for five hours?

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CAT ferry

I'm sorry to hear of your experience Enigmatic"

I have not had any problems myself when I have crossed at any time. I don't particularly like ferries of any kind and thank the lord this crossing isn't any longer than it is already. I'm certainly glad it's not 13 hours to Portland as it used to be before the "Cat" came into operation. I have not had children with me however so can't make a fair assessment of that. I am sorry to hear of the bad level of service you received. Most posters here have postive things to say regarding the "Cat" if you search it at this forum.

I can't imagine that you would be required to "lug" your bags around the ship with you without the benefit of a car. Surely they provide storage. Why not contact them for your piece of mind.

Gaithersburg
Level Contributor
693 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CAT ferry

These are interesting items. Has anyone taken the CAT to/from Yarmouth? Friends and I plan a September trip using this conveyance. Any input would be appreciated. (This is a particularly useful forum in planning a (hopefully perfect) trip.

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CAT ferry

I have taken the Cat to Maine and we had a lovely trip. They have a trolley for luggage and you put your bags on this and they secure it for the voyage. =Your bags will be at customs for you when you arrive on the other side. My husband and I had packed a lovely lunch for the trip and if I was with children, I would definately do that, along with the required books, games and distractions necessary for a 3 or 5 hour trip. This is a wonderful ship! It is a big ship with lots of different seating configurations. Sometimes you will see seals, porpoises and whales along your way. The Bay of Fundy is a very rich ocean playground for wildlife. Don't forget when you arrive in Yarmouth to give it a good look around. BEAUTIFUL old historic archetecture, you will be impressed. There is a brochure at the INFO centre for a garden tour, it is FREE andf you are permitted to go into the gardens of private homes to experience them - AMAZING!The salt beaches of the Bay of Fundy are just a few minutes drive away. Come and Play and Stay.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: CAT ferry

This is like postings I read about people having a terrible time in Cuba and then complaining to all and sundry. I have been to different resorts there and have never seen what others complain about.

I have never taken the Cat, was about to, but found it cheaper to drive. If I had, I would make my own decisions on the service. One has to go everywhere with an open mind and make your own conclusions.

Miiru, you will be able to compare the childrens area on the Souris- Isles ferry with the Cat. I noticed they had 2 or 3 attendants taking care of the little darlings and with a smile and a lot of patience.

NH
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: CAT ferry

Make sure you take dramamine if you get motion sickness. We took the ferry home last July and over 50% were ill on a trip that took 1 hour longer due to weather. It was the worst trip of my life.

The ferry is over priced for the service and we will not take it again. As beautiful as Nova Scotia is, there is no easy way to get there.

I miss the Air Canada flights from Boston to Yarmouth and yes, I miss the Scotia Prince. At least with the Scotia Prince there was a place to lie down.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CAT ferry

nhbeacon hello "

Boston - Yarmouth flights " I agree they were extemely convenient.

The Prince of Fundy, although a very long crossing, was my choice for ferry travel to Portland back in the day.

One can only hope that one day soon we will have ferry access from Shelburne, Nova Scotia to Boston Mass, as they seem to discuss and speculate on this possibility each and every tourist year. That would be perfect wouldn't it ?

regards,

blondie **

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CAT ferry

AKA Scotia Prince ...

north carolina
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CAT ferry

Planning on a short overnight trip from Bar Harbor. We planned to take the CAT and then stay overnight at at BB or hotel. Any suggestions. We are only in Maine for a week (from NC) so it will be a short visit. Any other way to get over from US. I heard that the other ferries don't run.

Help with any ideas please. Short notice