We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haunted Inn

Which Yarmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Haunted Inn

I will be travelling to Nova Scotia in late September to visit my sister in Halifax.1 area I have not travelled to is the Yarmouth area and will need overnight accomodation.I am interested in the Churchill Mansion Inn as several Tripadvisors have alluded to the fact they think it's haunted.Has anyone else heard this or is it just a myth created by "somebody"?

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haunted Inn

Hi HaroldW"

Churchill Mansion Country Inn located in Darling Lake, Yarmouth County, does indeed have the reputation of being haunted. It"s extremely large and situated on a large hill-eerie and something straight out of a Stephen King movie......

The story of exactly what happened there, years ago evades the memory of my dear mother who spent lots and lots of time down that way in past years...She did convey to me that it's quite an intense story--I believe she'll recall this--and when she does I"ll post back right away..I too want to know this story now...

Perhaps in the meantime, another poster might know something ...I've driven by this old mansion many times--I can see it perfectly in my mind...

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Haunted Inn

Thank you Blondie.With what little research I've done on this,the "ghost" is that of a woman sometimes seen at night on the shore of Darling lake.Also,only women staying at the Inn seem to sense her particularly in the honeymoon suite-she doesn't appear to affect the men staying at the Inn.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haunted Inn

very good HaroldW--That's a good hint to jog my mothers memory.....

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Haunted Inn

Thanks Blondie,I did a Google search for even more hints.The Mansion was built by Aaron Flint Churchill originally from Yarmouth but made his fortune in Georgia.He married his cousion Lois and returned each summer with her and his niece Lotta May Churchill.He built the mansion on a vast tract of land his family owned.He died in 1920 and was buried in Yarmouth.His wife subsequently passed away in 1927 and Lotta took over the mansion until she passed away in 1971.Some reports say she ended up in an insane asylum.Anyway apparently Aaron and Lotta both inhabit the mansion-he in room #3-the Honeymoon room and she in room #1 called the Blue Room.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haunted Inn

HaroldW"

This is truly very interesting...I do believe you are right concerning the insane assylum..The Vangaurd Newspaper has been Yarmouth's local paper for many many years.

Is it possible that this story could be archived with them.?. Another fact from the same area, are the cottages directly across the road from Churchill Mansion in Darling Lake.A very young girl forlorned over the loss of her soon to be husband, committed suicide in one of the cottages. This spirit is said to be the crying young voice heard on quiet evenings on the lake and throughout the trees in the wooded area.

My mother is going to make some phone calls to a few of her friends in Yarmouth to find out what happened all those years ago. It's just a matter of time HaroldW....am very intriqued.....

regards...

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haunted Inn

This comes from a very good source in Oakville Ontario..originaly from Yarmouth..

Aaron adopted his brothers daughter, Lotta.

He had no children and his brother had 11.

She would not come with Aaron & Lois unless her sister came as well..This sister was not to inherit a dime, as Lotta got it all.

Someone hung themselves right atop the mansion in the "windows walk"..It's rumored and said to be fact by others,that on certain nights, as you drove by the mansion a certain blue glow could be seen and also someone hanging there in the widows walk window.

After the death of both parents, Lotta was indeed insane and the inheritance she recieved was used to build her a stylish house on the Cape, Yarnouth County, very close to the assylum with secret doors to the treatment centers. She remained insane for 40 years until her death.

Your right--Aaron, originally from yarmouth did only use the home as a summer retreat as he was an inventor of some sort and lived in Savannah Georgia.

This gentlemen from Oakville I mentioned, remembers his parents going to parties held there before the day of cars..He remembers the lavish home with its many beautiful carriages lined up the hills..However he said that driving by it this past summer, it appeared to be very run down-in desperate need of exterior work...he also suggesed that the Yarmouth Museum would have the extensive story on this ....

Well--this has been interesting..regards...

nova scotia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Haunted Inn

Huge smiles

The churchill Mansion will be featured in an upcoming episisode of Rescue Meduims tv show on the W network, along with a few other haunted houses in Nova Scotia check this out the owner of this home was one used on the show also she added some of her haunted pics here

www.geocities.com/shaylenebassett/

Take care,

Trixie

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haunted Inn

Hi Trixie:

Any idea when exactly this show will be featured on the W Network..?

nova scotia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Haunted Inn

wnetwork.com/tv_shows/…index.asp within the next few months it should be aired keep an eye on the show index on the above link

Take care

Trixie

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haunted Inn

Thanks Trixie"

I will keep an eye out for that ....

That will be truly interesting..

regards.