We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara to Huntsville in a day??

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara to Huntsville in a day??

Hi,

We are looking at travelling from Niagara to Huntsville in September, driving distance is 325km but don't know what the roads are like or if we will get sidetracked on the way.

Any suggestions?

Should we break the journey with a 1 night stay en-route or is it driveable in 1 day with a stop for an hour or so near Lake Simcoe to give us 3 nights in Huntsville area.

thanks for any advise.

Mentioned in this post
Huntsville
Huntsville
Muskoka District, Canada
Muskoka, Ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara to Huntsville in a day??

Hello we live in the Huntsville area. You can drive from Niagara in a morning. It is not too long of a drive, depending on traffic. If you take the 407 Hwy it cuts off a lot of time. We drive to Niagara Falls at least twice a year for weekend get a-ways. If you need any other help with where to stay, what to do in Huntsville/Muskoka, I am happy to help out.

Mentioned in this post
Huntsville
Huntsville
Muskoka District, Canada
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara to Huntsville in a day??

Polariscouple,

Thanks for that, great news more time to explore the great outdoors.

Will have to get a better map than the one I currently have as I printed it from the internet and the route it seems to suggest would be the 400 and then the 11??

We are interested in maybe a day in Algonquin, nature spotting and a medium length hike (10-15k round trip) and are open to suggections for our other full day, it is our first trip to Canada so any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Accommodation wise we are very flexible, B&B, Hotel, Motel, Resort .... as long as the location is good and the price is under $200 CAD per night (any suggestions??)

We will be there mid September if this helps with what might be best to see/ do.

Many Thanks

Anne-Marie

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Muskoka, Ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara to Huntsville in a day??

Hello Anne-Marie,

Our email address is peterandsarah2003@yahoo.ca

Email me and I will give you more information about places to stay and things to do while here.

Our Grandfather is from England and is going for a visit end of August/September.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sarah

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara to Huntsville in a day??

Hi Welly172,

I would use the driving directions and map from Niagara Falls to Huntsville outlined on the mapquest website (403/QEW to 427 then 401 east, 400 North and highway 11)... although this depends on the time of day. If you think you might be coming into Toronto anytime around rush hour (7 to 9am or 4 to 7pm) I would also consider using the 407 as an alternative. From Niagara Falls it is about 1 to 1.5 hours to Toronto. If you leave Niagara Falls after 9am, using the route described by mapquest would be best... It seems shorter (if there's no traffic!), and would be alot less costly. The 407 is a toll route, which if taken from the beginning (around Burlington) to the 400 would probably costs over $20.

In terms of accomodations, I hear that the Deerhurst Resort (www.deerhurstresort.com) and Grandview resorts are both very nice. If you prefer to stay in Algonquin Park, the Arowhon Pines is considered the best resort (According to Frommers travel guide)... other options include the Killarney Lodge Frommer's has a travel guide called "Algonquin Provincial Park"... it cost about $20 and is quite useful... it outlines all of the hikes as well as accomodations and dining options in the park. Otherwise, there is a tourist information centre on highway 60 (the highway which cuts across the park)...they could definitely make recommendations in terms of hiking trails.

... I also noticed that the Deerhurst is listed on priceline as a resort. The Delta Grandview is also listed on priceline as a 4star hotel... I'm not sure if you are familiar with Priceline, but if you search for Huntsville and bid by naming your own price you could get one of these resorts for half the price... otherwise, the regular price listed on priceline (if you don't want to bid but just want to buy) is about $200 per night. I hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Huntsville
Huntsville
Muskoka District, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Deerhurst Resort
Deerhurst Resort
3,440 Reviews
Huntsville, Canada
Killarney Lodge
Killarney Lodge
262 Reviews
Algonquin Provincial Park, Canada
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara to Huntsville in a day??

Thanks to both of you , we will probably be leaving Niagara at around 9-10am so will go with the route you advised.

Had tried the grandview accomodation on-line but it was showing as unavailabe for the 3 nights we need. Will have a look at priceline as not used that website before.

Polariscouple I will drop you a mail later today any info greatly appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara to Huntsville in a day??

If you are looking to bid on priceline, it is usually best to go last minute as this is when the hotels get desperate to get rid of any remaining rooms. The reviews for the Deerhurst don't seem that great... it sounds like some of the rooms are in need of renovations. However, my Lonely Planet travel guide describes the Deerhurst as the best resort in the area. I will be there from August 7th to the 12th and so will post a review when I get back. I'll go take a look at the Delta Grandview for comparison.

I will also be in Algonquin Park so will post whatever tips I can.

Take care.

Mentioned in this post
Deerhurst Resort
Deerhurst Resort
3,440 Reviews
Huntsville, Canada
northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Niagara to Huntsville in a day??

Hello.

We stayed at the Deerhurst last year and it was very nice, very clean. Just make sure you ask for one of their newest remodelled rooms when booking and it should be fine.

The drive is not bad at all you're looking at about 4.5 to 5 hours, of course traffic conditions can lengthen the drive.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Deerhurst Resort
Deerhurst Resort
3,440 Reviews
Huntsville, Canada
8. Re: Niagara to Huntsville in a day??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, August 14, 2009