We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in August

Malta
2 posts
Save Topic
Holiday in August

HI

I am going to be visiting Canada for the first time. I will be staying int Whitby but want to visit Ottawa, Toronto, Niagara Falls, and a week to visit Montreal and Quebec. I am planning to visit 2nd week of August till 2nd week of September.....is it enough to visit the highlights? Any suggestions please. Have been reading the forums and getting tips what to visit but not certain especially on the timing.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,043 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in August

Hi FioMB;

Is there a particular reason you are staying in Whitby ? The reason I ask is that it is quite far if you are planning to use it as a base to visit Toronto. (approx. 36 miles / 60 km.)

Niagara Falls is about 80 miles / 130 km southwest of Toronto, and could be done in a day or two, as a side trip from Toronto.

My suggestion would be Toronto / Niagara Falls, then on to Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City, in that order.

You don’t mention how you will be traveling between these cities, but just so you have an idea, here are the distances involved.

From Toronto, Ottawa is approx. 282 miles / 452 km.

Ottawa to Montreal is approx. 124 miles / 200 km.

Montreal to Quebec City is about 157 miles / 252 km.

You could easily spend about one week in each city in the time frame you have.

Best Regards

Malta
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in August

Hi thanks for replying...

I am staying there as i have relatives living there so that is where i will be living.

Thanks for the tips though.

Another question...ideally what kind of transport would be best and cheap?

Toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in August

You can easily do day trips to Toronto from Whitby by taking the Whitby Transit bus to the Whitby GO station and then taking the GO Train to downtown Toronto's Union Station. The Whitby Transit bus is cash fare 65 cents each if you have a prepaid GO ticket, $2.75 if you do not. Fares and schedules for both are in the links below. One word of warning, GO Trains are very busy during rush hour.

durhamregiontransit.com/durham/index_e.aspx…

http://www.gotransit.com/

Union Station can also be your starting point to travel to Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City by train. Note, trains to points East can also be boarded in Oshawa, which is very close to Whitby.

http://www.viarail.ca/en_index.html

If time allows, you might also want to consider visiting Kingston which is halfway between Toronto and Ottawa.

4. Re: Holiday in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, September 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations