We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

London
Level Contributor
68 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

Planning to stay in Canmore for 4 nights in Sept and read about the dreadful flooding in June 2013. Is the area still badly affected by the flooding and is there a great deal of reconstruction going on. As we have been flooded this year I don't really want to go from one flooded area to another. Should I book Canmore or would I be better planning to stay in Banff?

Question 2. How bad are the mosquitoes at this time of year - I don't want to sound a wimp but I do get eaten alive by the little mites and spend night cocooned or rushing around the bedroom with a rolled up newspaper. Is it advisable not to stay lakeside?

All sounds very negative and am otherwise excited about our planned trip and want the memories to be happy ones.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,945 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

There is no lake in Canmore, so you don't need to worry about that angle. Sorry, don't really know the answers to your other questions.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
calgary
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

Mosquitos are usually a non-issue by the time September rolls around.

Flood damage in Canmore is, I believe, pretty much taken care of; you will still see areas that were destroyed but by in large - Canmore is open for business.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,800 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

I stayed twice in Canmore last summer, once in August and once in September, and there was hardly any noticeable effects from the flooding, unless you went looking for it (i.e. along Cougar Creek).

Mosquitoes are not an issue in the Canadian Rockies in September - the cold nights take care of that. ;-) Also, almost all openable windows will have screens on them anyway, to keep the bloodsuckers out.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

I was last in Canmore less than two weeks ago, and as the others have said, you only notice damage if you are looking for it. Everything is up & running again - the longer term rebuilding is mostly down south of Calgary.

i was in Canmore last September and don't remember any skeeters. To chilly for them by then.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

As the others have said you won't notice anything from the flooding unless you were to go into the residential areas where re-building and repair is going on. As far as tourism, Canmore was open for business as usual shortly after the flooding.

We have been bothered by mosquitoes during walks in the summer months, but they are gone by the time September comes around.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
London
Level Contributor
68 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

many thanks for great response, it has been really helpful and now I can proceed with all my bookings. Really looking forward to our trip to the Rockies.]

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

heck...I rarely notice mosquitos in the summer let alone the shoulder seasons.

Cougar Creek is away from the action so to speak...most damage was in the rural area...and beside a small hiking trail for Lady Mac Mountain.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

Mosquitoes are largely gone or at least greatly thinned out by September just about everywhere in Canada, but if you do encounter them, I wouldn't advise a rolled-up newspaper. It's a good weapon for houseflies and the like, which are very fast and somewhat tough, so the extra leverage gives you the needed speed to hit them and stopping power to knock them out. But mosquitoes being slower and more fragile, you're better off with your bare hands for added manoeverability and convenience. I kill most mosquitoes by clapping them between my hands in flight (impossible with a newspaper) or jabbing/swatting them while perched (newspaper would be overkill).

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
London
Level Contributor
68 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

advice taken and will operate the clapped hand method in future and hopefully no more itchy bites!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Canmore flooding and mosquitoes

Peak mosquito season in Canmore is June. Sept will not be an issue.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore