We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early May visit to Canmore/Banff

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Early May visit to Canmore/Banff

My wife and I are headed to Canmore May 3-11th and are curious as to he the weather has been recently. In the Colorado Rockies, it has been really mild, without much snow. So we were curious to see what the Banff/Canmore areas have been experiencing. I was hoping to go Kayaking, but I hear the lakes may still be frozen in early May. Other than that, we are in our 30's and are open to any variety of outdoor activities (even thinking of bringing our mountian bikes). Can anyone recommend anything that would be suitable for the time and weather conditions? We know we'll have a great time either way. Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early May visit to Canmore/Banff

There has been a lot of snow in the area this year. You can still ski at Sunshine, and Lake Louise is open until May 6. Of course, spring skiing is usually somewhat "slushy".

Canmore, AB
Level Contributor
77 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early May visit to Canmore/Banff

May can be a highly variable month. As mentioned, there will still be skiing at Sunshine and Lake Louise, but possible that in town at valley bottom there could be some dry trails for biking...but...it could also stay cold/snow throughout April and still be pretty snowy. Some smaller lakes may be snow free for kayaking but most rental places aren't up an running till late May. Best bet is to just keep an eye on the weather through April. The Environment Canada "Weather Office" site is most reliable for this area.

Cheers

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Early May visit to Canmore/Banff

It could be very possible that you get trails in Banff that are ridable this time of year. But, there's no guarantee. There's no doubt the riding is fabulous, but you're pushing the season just a little bit. It's always possible to keep yourself entertained with short hikes, bikes and scenic drives. But it really is the "in between the season" when it comes to activities. You need to be flexible with your plans. There's a chance that you might get weathered out - snow, rain or mud on the trails. But, as I mentioned a few days of sunshine and everything changes.

It really is a great time of year to ski - it's outstanding spring skiing in May. Generally we ski here until the 3rd week of May and Lake Louise is frozen until mid-June. This is an indicator of how long our winter season is - there's plenty of snow and ice well in to June in the high country.

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early May visit to Canmore/Banff

Thanks kathy, we heard that you guys had an incredible winter up there...so that may push some of our plans, but we can't wait to get up there and enjoy all the awesome scenery. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

5. Re: Early May visit to Canmore/Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:42 pm, June 19, 2013