We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canmore as a base to ski from

West Sussex
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Canmore as a base to ski from

Hi

We have booked our flight for early march and are heading this time for the Banff area to ski and Snowboard.

We were going to go car free and stay in Banff and for the first time ever use the ski shuttles and a transfer from Calgary. We Normally like to stay away from the tourist areas as we love the real Canadian welcome.. After trawling the web for comfortable well appointed accommodation i discovered Canmore..

However, no one seems to have anything to say about using it as a base for skiing.. Is there a reason why???

In march are the roads to the ski areas well maintained???

If we decide to ski lake Louise would we be better off staying over night there???

Sorry loads of Q's but it is almost half the price of a stay in Banff and that's even with added car hire on top!!!!

Thanks

Calgary
Level Contributor
992 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canmore as a base to ski from

Its no problem at all as a base. You just add 17 km drive (@ highway speed) to the normal Banff commute.

Roads will be fine - paved all season.

Lake Louise is a 45 minute drive from Banff. No big deal.

Banff has a much more vibrant evening scene, but do not miss a dinner in Lake Louise with some time for hot chocolate and skating on the Lake. Check the moon phases for your trip, and if it is full during your stay - go there. Its not to be missed. Canmore is much more 'normal' as a town, with less of the polish of a resort town.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canmore as a base to ski from

it's fine as long as you don't mind the extra drive. for me, adding that extra hour on at the end of the day to drive back to canmore would get old after a few days. if i stayed in canmore, i'd book a nice condo so when you get home from the day of skiing you don't need to go out and can cook at "home". the nice thing about banff is you can relax after your ski day, rely on the shuttles and walk to many restaurants for dinner. canmore is beautiful too.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canmore as a base to ski from

Thanks Guys..

That's exactly what we like to do..ski drive back to luxury home from home accommodation after stopping at the grocery store to find something to eat for dinner..

If we stay in Canmore do we need to pay to go in and out of the national park daily?? And are there any other local skiing mountain to consider???

We keep looking at lake Louise do you think it's worth going at the end of our Holiday and staying over before we head back to Calgary for some retail therapy???

Sorry loads of Q's again..

Calgary
Level Contributor
992 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canmore as a base to ski from

The national park fees will be the same if you are

staying inside or outside the Park .....

You also could make the trip to ski at Nakiska for the same travel time as Lake Louise ..... Can be a very nice GS hill .....

I would spend a night or two in LL depending on your logistics.. I like to do that kind of thing upfront, and then I can upack, do laundry, relax etc. at the nextspot ..

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canmore as a base to ski from

Although roads are well maintained and in good condition throughout the winter, there can be heavy snow falls that do slow the pace of travel in and through the National Park. If you are concerned about winter driving in Banff, and will be traveling in and out of the Park daily for skiing anyway, it might be worthwhile for you to reconsider staying in Banff and taking advantage of the ski shuttle bus. (As mentioned above, Banff town has more to offer in the way of activities and night life and caters to the apres ski activities you might be interested in.)

Winter rates are very affordable in Banff and Lake Louise, as long as you're not looking at a long holiday weekend. There are various condo style properties in both towns where you can cook your own meals as well. Staying in Lake Louise for one night would be quite an enjoyable and nice option - this way you could get up and have fresh tracks on the ski hill and also not have to rush away in the evening, giving you time to go ice skating or on a sleigh ride.

The three ski hills in Banff National Park are: Mt. Norquay, Sunshine Village and Lake Louise Ski Hills.

USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Canmore as a base to ski from

Is the Banff ski shuttle bus still operating? I had the impression from one of the posts that it was not.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,428 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canmore as a base to ski from

Yes, it is operating, but starting from last winter, it doesn't pick up from as many stops as it used to. The schedule, and list of hotels where it stops, is partway down the page, here:

skibig3.com/banff-lake-louise/3-banff-lake-l…

Note to the OP, it doesn't run to Canmore.

8. Re: Canmore as a base to ski from

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 29, 2012