We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mystic springs or hidden ridge resort?

Which Canmore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ontario, canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
mystic springs or hidden ridge resort?

Can't decide whether to stay in Canmore at the Mystic Springs or to stay in Banff at the Hidden Ridge? Any suggestions? We are a family of 6 (4 teenagers). Also does anyone have any comments on what we should absolutely see/do?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mystic springs or hidden ridge resort?

Although I haven't stayed at neither of these hotels, last year we stayed in Canmore.

When you travel with a family we need more space and value wise it just makes sense to rent a 2-3 bedroom condo.

Canmore is just 15 mins drive from Banff. It has some good restaurants too. It is more quiet. There is 2 large grocery stores there and you will get more bang for your buck for your accomodation dollar in Canmore vs Banff in my opinion. Mystic Springs looks very good and the condos are practically brand new. I was looking at it too for our next trip.

The advantage in staying in Banff is that depending where you stay (anywhere close to Banff Avenue)would become walking distance to the "town" with it's restaurants and shops. Hidden resort is closer to the entrance of Banff. See Map at this link...

http://www.bestofbanff.com/tours/

Don't miss the Lake Minnetonka loop drive (see map) it's just on the other side of town, pass the highway. We saw a fox, mountain goats, beautiful views of lakes etc. Pack a picnic maybe, lots of picnic areas. Also, there's Vermillion lakes, The Banff Gondola, Hot springs, there is also horseback riding right in Banff. Just go pass the bridge and turn right. Warners Stables is where we took our 2 hour ride. It was great.

Lake Louise is about 45 Mins drive along with Maligne Lake and Peyto lake. There's a gondola at Lake Louise too. We saw some Grizzlies last July when we were there!

Lots of hiking can be done around Lake Louise. You can rent canoes there too.

Just keep in mind that once you go to Banff from Canmore you will enter Banff National Park and there is a daily fee. By your pass for the # of days you will plan to staying within the park. After that you won't have to stop every day, go through other lane since you already have a pass and go though the lines quickly.

If you decide to go to the Icefield from Banff plan for a full day so you won't feel rushed. There is alot of stop along the way for beautiful views.

If you go to Jasper, that's a different Park, another park fee.

Enjoy, I wish I was back already.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mystic springs or hidden ridge resort?

>>>>>>If you go to Jasper, that's a different Park, another park fee.<<<<<<

Well yes and no.

If you buy a national park pass, it entitles you to visit any one of Canada's 28 national parks. Of course the limitation is distance. I don't know anyone who has accomplished the feat of visiting all of Canda's national parks in a single day. However, I have been in Banff, Yoho and Jasper National Parks in a single day. One pass has been good for all of them.

You can buy a pass for just the number of days that you'll be in the mountain national parks. The first day is counted from the time that you purchase your pass until 4.00 p.m. of the following day.

Alternatively, you can buy an annual pass. By my calculation the break even point is 7 days. That is, if you're going to spend 7 or more days in the parks, it's just as cheap or cheaper to buy an annual pass.

Up4aparty, if you already have a annual national parks pass that you've purchased in Ontario, it'll be good in Alberta and British Columbia as well.

For these and other tips, you can check out my website:

…msn.com/CalgaryandCanadianRockiesTravelTips

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mystic springs or hidden ridge resort?

Hi,

We stayed at the Hidden Ridge Resort two weeks ago, and we just loved the place. Our rooms were so clean and comfortable, the staff was excellent - friendly and great service - and the feather beds were amazing!! I don't think I've ever had such a great sleep. We were in a 1 bedroom condo, which has a separate bedroom with a queen sized bed and a queen sofa bed in the living room. It had a kitchen - with fullsized fridge, oven and even a small dishwasher. It was so nice to not have to hand wash dishes while we were on vacation. I think every room has a wood burning fireplace in it. I booked my room through Orbitz, and got it for $140 CAD per night.

If you decide to book there, ask for a ridge view room. They are on the outside loop and have great views of the mountains.

I would definitely stay there again!

Get answers to your questions about Canmore