We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Night RV Camp Site

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
First Night RV Camp Site

We are arriving Calgary airport aprox.1:30 PM mid June on a Thursday and after luggage pick up/ immagration we will shuttle to Canada Dreams for our RV rental and then head towards Banff. We'll shop in Calgary for food and then go for our first campsite. I'm thinking one of the reservable campgrounds just east of Canmore, Bow Valley Campground, etc. may work for the night and then an early arrival the next day at unreservableTwo Jack Lake Campground near Lake Minnawanka for Friday and Saturday nights. Does this seem like a reasonable plan? We will be fine with out hookups.

Edited: 4:37 pm, May 13, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,215 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Night RV Camp Site

The campgrounds at Bow Valley Provincial Park are quite nice, especially the ones in the trees (i.e. *not* Willow Rock). They can be a bit on the small side though, if you have a really big unit; we camped there once with the 22' fifth wheel trailer and our truck, and I think that was pushing the limits. In that case, you could still find a spot at the Willow Rock campground in Bow Valley PP.

Make sure to enjoy the interpretive trails at Bow Valley PP, if you have the time; they are all great. The Flowing Water trail ends at a huge beaver dam and associated beaver pond - great to visit as the sun goes down and the beavers become more active.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,215 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Night RV Camp Site

Sorry, the campground in Bow Valley PP that is pretty bare and most suited to large RVs is just the upper section of Willow Rock, near the Trans-Canada Hwy (Hwy 1); the lower section of Willow Rock, closer to the Kananaskis River, is treed and not suitable to really large RVs. They're so different from each other that I have started thinking of them as two different campgrounds.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Night RV Camp Site

Thank you Country Wife for your suggestions..

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Night RV Camp Site

I would second the suggestion for Bow Valley CG - it's one of my favorites and will be easy to get to after your long first day of travelling.

5. Re: First Night RV Camp Site

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:37 am, November 13, 2010