We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place for drinks

Which Canmore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Good place for drinks

Our group will be spending the week in Canmore mid September. Where is a good place to go and have a drink or a beer in a bar or pub like atmosphere where you can have a conversation with out alot of noise, some good appetizers and maybe some outdoor seating with views? Also are the bars and pubs in Canmore nonsmoking? Would be a plus if they are.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
307 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good place for drinks

The Grizzly Paw Brewery is a nice brewpub with good food. I can't recall what their outdoor seating situation is like - it wasn't outdoor weather the last time I was there.

All bars and restaurants in Alberta a non-smoking.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good place for drinks

The Rose & Crown pub in Canmore is nice, and has some excellent views from their outdoor deck. I have also heard good things about the Grizzly Paw, but haven't been there myself.

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good place for drinks

The "Paw" as the locals call it has great seating on the patio! Loved the Beavertail Raspberry Ale!

Other pubs/bars would be THe Rose and Crown, and The Drake (both at the start of Main Street (across from each other). All three serve fantastic food.

One of my favorite spots was the Canmore Hotel! A little grundgier but had a great upstairs patio with a view of Mount Rundle and Chinaman's Peak. The staff there are great! (I lived in Canmore for 6 years and spent many a day/nught there!...lol)

All pubs/bars in Canmore are non-smoking.(last time I was there (2 years ago)

There was another pub at the end of Main Street, it was called the Serwood House (when I worked there). Then it became The Bolo Ranch House...then I heard it closed down. I am sure something else has opened up there since. Best patio in town.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good place for drinks

I like the Paw and the Canmore Hotel. The upstairs deck at the Hotel is the best spot in town! (The patio at The Paw is pretty small, though; it can be tough to get a seat.)

Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good place for drinks

Thanks for the tips everybody. We'll have to check out some of these places.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good place for drinks

The Drake and Rose n Crown are the best pubs in town. The Drake is my favourite place and has a great pub feel to it and always fills up fast on Friday afternoon, with live bands usually playing. Good pub grub. Lots of beer choices.

The Rose n Crown is my favourite place in the summer as you cannot beat the huge patio with the incredibly beautiful views. Good pub grub, lots of beer choices.

The Grizzly Paw, while it is a brew pub, is over priced and the food is terrible. Worth a visit, but in my 5 years of living there I went there maybe 10 times, all pretty much within the first year. Stopped going there due to terrible, inconsistent food.

The CanHo (if its still open, i dont think so) is great in the evenings...eclectic mix of people and pretty cool bands.

Best thing...all these pubs are a quick stumble from each other!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good place for drinks

The Drake.

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good place for drinks

By CanHo..do you mean the Canmore Hotel? Known as "The HO".

It's still there and probably always will be as it is a protected building (historic hotel thing)

Spent 6 years hanging out there and saw some of the best bands in Canada!

They have a page over on FACEBOOK with pics and other band info...when it gets updated.

OH the memories of Jagermeister! mmmm

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good place for drinks

I personally don't care for the Rose & Crown. I wasn't impressed with the food or the service.

Alberta
Level Contributor
61 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good place for drinks

The Drake is good. DH and I have spent many afternoons/evenings there. Rose and Crown is good too - Grizzly Paw is a bit trendier and def. noisier. Have fun!