We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

seoul
4 posts
Save Topic
another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

Hi, I am going to travel Banff, Jasper area early August.

But the thing is.. everything is so expensive.. Most of hotels and lodges are over $200. I know some place offer around $150, but we are only 2 people, and I want to save money.

So... is there any other town between Canmore and Calgary? If there is small town nearby Canmore on TransCanadaHighway 1, it will worth to drive 20-30 minutes.

and how long dose take from Calgary and Banff? If motels in Calgary is really cheap, is it worth to drive back and forth? (I will stay in Banff for 2 nights)

Please share your experience. Thank you.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,302 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

I am answering your post because you did mention Jasper, which is located 300 km north of Banff. For Jasper, you may want to consider private home accommodation. These are bedrooms or suites for nightly rental, within someone's home...sort of like Bed & Breakfast, except that most do not offer breakfast. A room with a private bath starts about $75 or $80 per night, more if it's particularly deluxe or includes breakfast. You can find listings at http://www.stayinjasper.com .

By the way, August 3 to 5 is a long weekend and Jasper home accommodations are already getting pretty booked up. I would not suggest coming to Jasper unless you have a reservation somewhere before you come. Hotel listings can be found at www.jaspercanadianrockies.com, and you are right, they are expensive, from $200 and up.

rocky mountains
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

Pigeon Mountain Motel and Big Horn Motel in Dead Man's Flats (5 minutes from Canmore) have mountain views and are around $80 - $90 a night in summer.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

The rockies are an expensive area, and to do them justice, you need to be willing to invest a little. i would be very careful about accomodations which are so much cheaper than the "going rate" -- you probably would be better off camping.

Groningen...
Level Contributor
657 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

Hi realname777,

If it wasn't for the road construction going on between Golden and Field, I would recommend Golden as a cheaper place to stay (just outside Yoho NP). We have stayed there 3 years ago for our trips into Yoho NP). But I guess with the road construction going on, it isn't the ideal location.

It is true, that places like Banff, Jasper and Lake Louise are pricy, especially in highseason. But it also depends on the amount of luxury you require. In Banff as well as Lake Louise you can stay in hostels offering private rooms at about 100 CAD per night. The rooms are ok, but don't expect any luxury (usually no en suite bathrooms for example). Still they can be a good alternative to the expensive hotelrooms.

You will find hostels along the Icefield Parkway and in Jasper as well, but they are even more basic (some don't even have showers) and don't offer private rooms (only dorms). But if you don't mind sleeping in dorms and are in for a little adventure, they can be a fun place to spend a night or two.

Hope this is helpful! Have fun!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,032 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

There isn't a lot of info here on TA from folks who have stayed at Dead Man's Flats, but I suspect the main reason that the accommodations are cheaper is because there is darned little at Dead Man's Flats: 1 restaurant (maybe 2), 2 gas stations (the place is primarily a refuelling stop), 1 or 2 gas station convenience stores, and a campground. Anything else you need will have to be obtained in Canmore or Banff.

However, whatever place you choose, you're probably going to be stuck with; on the long weekend, it's not going to be easy to move hotels if your first choice is unsatisfactory.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

The reason why nobody talks about staying at Deadmans Flats is because no one stays there. The "hotel" is right ON the highway, and looks like it may blow over in the next wind. I would recommend GREAT CAUTION to anyone thinking of staying there to save a few dollars.

No, I've never stayed there -- in fact, I have never even pulled off the road there. Let's just say it doesnt have a lot of "curb appeal"

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

Try thecrossingresort.com. It is halfway between Banff and Jasper, close to the Icefields. Not fancy but perhaps a little more affordable. It was clean the last time I was there. The dining room is very $$$ without the ambiance. You can gas up there for a few more $$ and there is also a convenience store. Good luck. The only other thing I can suggest is visiting the area in the off season.

england
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

We have just returned from a long trip and we spent 5 nights in Canmore and stayed at the Pocaterra Inn a best western hotel. It was expensive by British standards 100 pounds a night for B and a very basic breakfast. I must say though the view from our balcony of the three sisters was great but we had dreadful noise from a thermo truck parked outside our bedroom for two nights the staff said he had been parking there for two years with no com[plaints! However they reduced our bill by 50% for 1 night Canmore is a good base for Banff but the whole of Banff is dug up right now due to road works HORRID!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,032 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

The suggestion of staying at The Crossing Resort is an interesting one. I stayed there about 8 years ago, and I found the rooms to be clean but very basic. It's located at about the halfway point along the Icefields Parkway, which means it's about a 90-minute drive from Lake Louise, if I recall correctly. However, it's very isolated; there is only the restaurant, gift shop, and gas station in the immediate area. I think I would recommend staying in Cochrane or the west edge of Calgary over staying at The Crossing, unless you were a return visitor to the Rockies looking for an off-the-beaten-track type experience. Both west Calgary and Cochrane are just over an hour's drive from Banff, and the hotels should not be at resort prices.

For more adventurous folks, a stay in Nordegg, Sunwapta Falls Resort, or the Columbia Icefields Chalet might also work. But I wouldn't recommend that to a first-time visitor, or one interested in more than basic accommodations.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: another town chepaer than Canmore and Banff???

We stayed at the Icefields a few years back. The "hotel" is the top two floors of the visitor center. That was cool in that we had the run of the VC after closing and could amble over to the glacier before dusk. And we had a corner room with fabulous views.

BUT the food was terrible -- which you can imagine because they cater to the "snack bar" crowd.

So, unless you plan on bringing your own dinner, I cannot recommend staying there.

But it was VERY nice being in such a special place BEFORE (and AFTER) ALL THE PEOPLES left.