We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does the ranking amongst hotels work?

Super 8 Abbotsford
11 posts
Save Topic
How does the ranking amongst hotels work?

I am looking at the ranking for our hotel.....and I am #5. Why would the Sandman be ranked at #4, when I have more reviews AND with a higher score??

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,017 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does the ranking amongst hotels work?

That seems to be one of life's great mysteries. ;-) Trip Advisor's ranking algorithm is very "hush hush" so no one really knows for sure, except for maybe the head computer geeks at TA. I have heard that how recent the reviews are can make a difference.

Have a look in the "help centre" (link in the footer of the site), or, if you are registered as an owner, poke around in the owners' section for more information.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does the ranking amongst hotels work?

Certainly flavour of the month has something to do with it. When many reviews were being entered for Vancouver's Hampton Inn it was #1. Today it is #25...same hotel. Times Square only fell from #1 to #9.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does the ranking amongst hotels work?

Hi Carol ~

Here is the link to the Support Forum article about how owners can register for the Owners' forum and then access their Management Center. The Owners forum is for you to post any questions or concerns you would like about your business. It would be a fascinating read as well as other owners around the world hash out all kinds of issues. Please read TA_Dan's article. Within that article are more blue print links that are informational and important to open as read as well.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k5056048…

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,954 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does the ranking amongst hotels work?

Hi CarolGM;

For future reference, TA has created an owners only forum to answer questions like yours. Matters that pertain to your business or property, or that are relevant only to business owners or managers, should be posted in the Owners' forum. You can find that forum here on TA;

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i14281-Owners.h…

There are three key things that factor into the popularity index;

• the number of reviews

• how favourable the reviews are

• how old or recent the reviews are

Also, reviews depreciate over time so an older review, good or bad, does not factor in as much as a newer one. It's not just a simple mathematical average of all the review’s ratings.

tripadvisor.com/help/how_does_the_popularity… tripadvisor.com/help/how_do_traveler_ratings…

You also need to remember that the ratings are dynamic. While you may be receiving great reviews of your property, all of your competitor’s ratings may be adjusting, up or down, depending on the reviews they receive.

If you need further assistance, please post on the "Owners' Forum".

Best Regards

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does the ranking amongst hotels work?

Ditto all the above CarolGM but also wanted to add that TA is an area of your marketing that you, or whomever does your property's marketing, should be well aware of and conversant on. TA and all it's ensuing competitors will play an increasingly significant role in your property's success. I would read up on TA posting guidelines and have a look at the Owners Forum as noted.

Good luck!

BD

6. Re: How does the ranking amongst hotels work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 11, 2015