We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

Jaipur City...
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

Hi...

We are travelling from Toranto to Calgary on 15th of July. Then we are going to Vancouver. We will be there for 3 days and then we have to come back to Calgary. Please help us how we should travel from there. We are 5 people including my 2 children age 8 and 12. And how early we should book a taxi to get a cheap rate. And also in the Vancouver should we hire a taxi for 3 days.

Any suggestion will be appriciated.

Thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,954 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Shobha;

I would STRONGLY suggest looking at an online map, such as Google Maps or Mapquest.ca !

Vancouver is approx. 611 miles / 983 km west of Calgary. I don't think that you could even arrange for a taxi to take you on a trip that long.

Your alternatives are;

- rent a car and drive yourself

- take a bus (www.Greyhound.ca)

FYI...there is no passenger train service between Calgary & Vancouver, (www.VIARail.ca) only an expensive excursion train. (http://www.rockymountaineer.com)

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

Shobha, taxi rides like that are common in India (I love your city and have visited it several times) but it is not possible here in Canada - it would be way too expensive.

1.) You can fly round trip Calgary/Vancouver/Calgary for less than $350 total per person.

http://www.aircanada.com

http://www.westjet.com

2.) You can take the bus round trip Calgary/Vancouver/Calgary for about $160 total per person.

http://www.greyhound.ca/

3.) Renting a car and self driving is fairly easy - the main road you would be on is the Trans Canada Highway #1 - but this is only an option if you have lots of driving experience at home. Having a car in Vancouver might be a great advantage too.

Good luck with your trip.

Cheers,

Terry

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

Your time is limited - don't take the bus from Calgary to Vancouver, it will take far too long, like 14-17 hours 1 way. Driving is not much better, a good 10 or more hours from Calgary to Vancouver. Flying is the best way to go, the flight is only 1 hr or so, and when you arrive in Vanc you can just jump on the Canada Line of the Skytrain (the metro) and be downtown in about 1/2 an hour. Also in Vancouver if you are there for only 3 days you may find public transit to be perfectly adequate - it all depends on what you want to do while there. Can you tell us more about your trip - what are your plans for Calgary & Vanc?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

Welcome to the forum, Shobha ~

taxime.ca

I have just used the above website to check on the taxi fare. It is $2015.00 and would take 11 hours of non stop driving. You would need to take two days and would need to pay for accommodation for the driver as well as yourselves. Then you would need to pay also for the driver to return home with his taxi. Also the taxi driver would very likely not have a licence to drive such a journey. Not a possibility for you. On the other hand, a flight from Calgary would take about 1.5 hours.

To advise you further, it would help to know what kind of vacation you want between Calgary and Vancouver. Do you just want to get to Vancouver by a different way than flying? Do you want to sightsee? Do you want to drive a rental car? I can say that once you are in Vancouver, for 3 days, you will not need a car. You can get around very easily by walking or public transit, including to and from the airport.

You could get to Edmonton and take VIA Rail from there to Vancouver. It is an overnight journey. Half of the distance would be travelled in the dark. You could reserve a berth or a sleeper (room.) Reserving will include meals. Or if you are going to visit the Rockies, you could rent a car to drive one way to Jasper, drop off the car there and take VIA Rail from Jasper. The train runs 3 days a week. (We don't have a train system here, almost everyone uses a vehicle for travel in BC or the plane.)

I notice you have posted on the Langley City Forum. Langley is not a major city here. For your travel questions about getting from Calgary to Vancouver, you need to post on the British Columbia Forum. The short cut to that forum is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154922-i80-Britis…

Jaipur City...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

Thanks for your suggestions. It will really help me. Yes, we want to hire a car. So just let me know how soon, I should book a car to get a cheap rate. I am coming from Saint Lucia.

Edited: 10:15 am, June 04, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

You're coming in the middle of the high tourist season and it's also the last day of the Calgary Stampede, the single biggest event that happens in Calgary all year. (It's also the 100th Anniversary of the Stampede.)

Bottom line, book your vehicle immediately. It does not cost anything if you cancel so there is no reason whatsoever not to reserve as soon as possible.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Jaipur City...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

Thanks Terry.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

Calgary to Vancouver is 12 hours journey by car better tea car but don't rent taxi too expensive or come on greyhound bus or will xw rite in Vancouver you can walk and take bus to see whole Vancouver

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,185 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

Thanks for dropping by two years late to confirm what everyone else told this person...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Calgary to Vancouver by Taxi

How did this thread from 2012 not get closed at the one year mark?