We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

Since most of the topics have been closed or are fairly old, here I am am asking the question again; what are some of the must-visit wineries in (or close to) Osoyoos?

Hubby and I are going there for 10 days at the beginning of August and we're hoping to get a little bit of wine tasting in. I keep hearing about the Golden Mile; any specific winery recommendations??

Much appreciated - thank you.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

Hi CaribbeanPrincess84,

Welcome to the OSOYOOS TRAVEL FORUM.

See you are fairly new to the TA FORUMS so thought you might appreciate this info...

Just so you know... a topic in the FORUMS will automatically close out after 6 Months of non-activity.... doesn't mean the info is OLD.

Just that more than likely the Traveller has come and gone... it is always considered best FORUM Netiquette to post a NEW Topic for a NEW Question... rather than tagging on to an older post... because many Travellers opt to receive email from TA notifying them when someone has posted in "their" topic... and well no one really wants a whole lot of email about some Post and Destination they visited "years" ago (which was the case before TA implemented this feature).

Thought you might want to know... so browse thru the old topics... or they are also searchable... just type in any keyword(s) to the SEARCH BOX at the top of the List of Forum Topics.

Hope this is helpful in your getting more out of your TA Membership and how the FORUMS work... once you get the hang of all the features, you'll agree that they really are great for Trip Planning.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 6:03 pm, May 05, 2010
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

The Burrowing Owl in between Osoyoos and Oliver is an absolute must. If you only went to this winery that would be enough. They offer accommodation, dining and wine, albeit pricey.

http://www.bovwine.ca/

In Osoyoos you should also go and visit Nk' Mip Cellars at the bottom of Anarchist Mountain.

http://www.nkmipcellars.com/

There are of course loads others but these two are excellent! And I believe there are organized van tours though someone else would need to tell you about them or contact the tourism office in Osoyoos or Penticton.

Enjoy your trip!

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
882 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

Gehringer Bros - a lovely winery with lovely wines (Sovereign Opal is great!)

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

Some wineries have accommodation, some have restaurants, some simply have picnic benches where you bring your own lunch and enjoy the wine you just bought. Some are tiny with trailer-like tasting rooms (Golden Beaver) and some are magnificent pieces of architecture (Mission Hill). If you decide on the wineries between Oliver and Osoyoos, a few of your 10 days is plenty to see them all, but venturing up to Kelowna and the wineries between is very doable too.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

Yes, Mission Hill up near Kelowna has stunning views over the lake and a fabulous wine cellar for tastings. But our favourite wines came from Quail's Gate. I discovered them by chance in a Penticton restaurant in 1997. Going to their winery in 2008 was real treat and the meal in restaurant was fabulous. I really like their white wines and ice wines. There are also lovely views over the garden across the lake.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

Quail's Gate does a nice tour and tasting for $10 per person - we did this last fall and enjoyed it very much. However, they are not along the Golden Mile. but in Kelowna/Westbank.

There are dozens of wineries along the Golden Mile. We enjoyed Tinhorn Creek although the day we went, there was a special event on and no tours available. However, we were able to have a look around; they have interpretive signage up which explains some things. (We weren't interested in just tastings... we wanted to learn more about the wine-making operations.) We also stopped at Cassini Cellars and Inniskillin, but those were just tastings.

If you are interested in hiking, the Golden Mile trail is very nice - it starts from the parking lot at the Tinhorn Creek winery. It climbs a bit at first, but once you are up, the views of the surrounding valley are wonderful!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

It is so easy to just drive north towards Penticton and drop into the wineries..the signs are good. I also recommend Burrowing Owl, and N'kmp, but some of the smaller family run operations are also great. Make sure you go off the main highway to the back route - Black Sage Rd. for some smaller cottage wineries. Some good suggestions here!

http://www.winebc.com/winetour14.php

Where are you staying? Are you in Osoyoos for the 10 days or going to move around?

Don't forget the passport! A trip across the border to Trino's Mexican and Prince's grocery (if you have a condo kitchen to cook) really add to the fun of Osoyoos!

Edited: 10:12 pm, May 06, 2010
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

Coincidentally yesterday a local paper had an article about a Golden Mile winery that has a western theme and tastings by shot glass served in a old west saloon. http://www.rusticowinery.com/

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

Thanks for the link. I look at the webcam daily and see the wonderful sunny weather and quiet beach, it is a great time to go now! But I can't ..for those that can travel off season, check out how quiet it is at the hotel. Winery tours, the lake and a quiet beaches...I need to retire sooner rather than later!

webcam: (no, I haven't stayed there..too busy for me in summer, but it isnice now!

safaribeachresort.com/webcam/webcam-java.asp

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must Visit Wineries - Osoyoos

Thank you very much to all of you for the information! :) Very helpful!

Get answers to your questions about Osoyoos