We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

Our family of 4 (2 children 8 and 9) will be in Canada from June 30 to July 7th. We have to travel between Toronto and Markham and are looking for a hotel that's midway between the two cities. We're not driving so being near a subway is important. A suite type hotel (with kitchen and two rooms) would be ideal but a standard room is also workable. So far i've looked at hotels in Markham (Hilton Suites) and several in TOronto but really don't know where to begin to look for a place betwwen the two cities. WOuld appreciate any help you can provide. I've also mad a smilar post on the Toronto forum. Thanks much!

11 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

Technically, the two cities are adjacent so there's no "midway". But the bigger question is, where in Markham? It's big enough -- especially when you don't have a car -- that a neighbourhood name or nearest intersection would help us know where you need to be. (I assume the "Toronto" part would be downtown Toronto.)

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

We'll be visiting IBM in Markham (not sure what the neighborhood is called). We want to visit down town Toronto but would prefer to stay closer to Markham and avoid the 40-50 minute (so we've been told) commute between the two cities, with children.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

Yonge and Sheppard might be your best bet since you are not driving, but in both cases you will have a bit of a commute.....Try the Novotel at Yonge and Sheppard....

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,541 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

IBM in Markham: at the boundary of Toronto and Markham - Steeles and Victoria park.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

Yes, the Novotel North York (on Park Home Avenue) suggested by TD could be a good choice. It's right on the subway so it's easy to get downtown (about 25 minutes); to get to IBM you'd take the subway north one stop to Finch and any 53 Steeles East bus to the IBM campus (about 35 minutes).

Or, there's the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Markham, which is actually within walking distance of the IBM campus. From there you'd be looking at an hour-long commute to get downtown (via the 53 Steeles East bus and the subway). In the same area is the Monte Carlo Inn, but it's both further from the IBM campus and from the 53 bus.

There are other hotels in that part of the city, but transit is not the greatest up there so the lack of a car limits your options.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

Isn't there also a big IBM office near Warden & Hwy 7?

TravellingWithKidz, maybe you can get an address for the IBM location you'll be at.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll check out the Novotel. Thanks again!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

To B & J's point, the directions I gave were for the 3600 Steeles Avenue East location; if you need to be at the 8200 Warden Avenue location, the directions would differ and although the Novotel's still mid-way there might be a few other nearby hotels.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

I've confirmed that it's the 8200 Warden Avenue location.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto

That's a shame. That one's further out. From the Novotel, it's a 30-60 minute commute up to the IBM office on Warden. The faster options are only available during rush hours. You can use the transit option on Google Maps (make sure to pick an accurate departure time) to get routes.

I think Flyinmom had a good idea in the other thread of splitting your time between two hotels. There is a Hilton Suites within walking distance of that IBM campus.

Reply to: Looking for a hotel midway between Markham and Toronto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted