We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

Tasmania
Level Contributor
33 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

We are looking for a place to stay near Vancouver Airport before our return night flight to Australia. After five days in Victoria we planned to spend the night before our flight at an airport hotel, but since our flight is at 8pm we wondered if there was a more attractive place than the airport to stay, somewhere we can wander about during our last day in Canada. We do not have a car and will be using public transport so somewhere a short journey away. Can anyone recommend something nice for a senior couple?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

tourismrichmond.com/things-to-do/steveston/

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

Why not stay in downtown Vancouver, and take the Skytrain to the airport at the end of the day?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

True. Transit is actually probably easier from downtown that it is from Steveston, although I do like Steveston. Its often where I go to take people before dropping them at the airport at the end of their stay.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,658 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

I would suggest you get into downtown Vancouver this way:

Get off the ferry at Tsawwassen terminal and catch the #620 bus to Bridgeport Station near the pax loading zone, transfer there to the Canada Line and get into Vancouver City Centre Station. Up to the sidewalk and walk north on Granville St (toward the mountains) to Dunsmuir and turn east about to the St. Regis Hotel (300 metres.) Total time from Tsawwassen ferry terminal, about 1 hour. You will need either $5.50 or $2.75 exact change in coins for the bus, depending on the day.

This hotel is quite nice, centrally located, with walking distance of everything you could want in a short time: shops, waterfront, restaurants, public transit including Canada Line back to the airport the next day (25 minutes). (tweed has called this skytrain, I'm just using its dedicated name as we have 3 skytrain lines here.)

Map from VCC Station to St. Regis: https://goo.gl/maps/h8LQl

If that hotel is not to your liking, let us know. A heritage boutique hotel, comes with international long distance calls, hot or cold, made to order breakfast, free wifi. Excellent bathtubs, some rooms with shower only.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d156565…

Edited: 6:17 pm, March 20, 2014
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

another vote for saying downtown...very easy to take Canada Line to airport..and this way you have almost a full day to enjoy Vancouver

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,179 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

If downtown doesn't suit consider http://www.riverrock.com/hotels/ five minutes from the airport and about the same to the Chinese Malls and restaurants of Richmond.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
33 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

Thank you for your very detailed reply. I appreciate your kindness. However, we don't really want to return to stay downtown again as we would have already stayed there for ten days: five days at Times Square Suites, at the beginning of our trip before we fly to Anchorage, returning later to stay at the St Regis Hotel for three days before doing a 6 day Rocky Mountain train trip, then two more days at the Hampton Inn suites. Steveston seems a lovely place. Is there somewhere nice to stay there? Being without a car seems to be a problem as I have looked on the Internet and most places seem to be several miles away from Steveston. Are taxis easy to get and reasonable priced?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

I'd consider staying at the Riverrock as you're on the transit line...and then taking a cab out to Steveston for the day. How are you getting back from Victoria? If using Pacific Coach then you could get dropped at the airport and take Canada Line to the River Rock..if using public transport then you'll take bus from ferry to Richmond, get on Canada Line and get off at RiverRock.

There are lots of cabs at the airport and at the hotels. you can easily call one to go to Steveston, get a number and then call a cab for a return. The only B&B I could find that looked good requires a car. A taxi will probably be about $35+ to Steveston but I'm just guessing. Same back to hotel and then Canada Line to airport.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
33 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

Thank you again. Sorry to be so ignorant but what is the Canada Line?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for a pleasant last day near Vancouver Airport?

Canada Line is the name of the " skytrain" rapid transit that runs from Richmond and the airport right into downtown, if you are flying into Vancouver in all probability you will take the Canada Line " into town. If you go to the Vancouver. Top questions you'll find info Bout rapid transit and the Canada Line.

Btw. How are you getting back from Victoria?