We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland to Hobbiton in a day

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland to Hobbiton in a day

We are in Auckland for 1 day, arriving on a cruise ship, we would like to hire a car and drive to Hobbiton and back, we arrive at 10.00 am and leave at 8.00 pm. Can it be done in that time frame and would we need to per book Hobbiton tour tickets before we arrive?? Driving is not a problem i am just not sure on the roads and if it can be done, don't want to miss the boat.

Thanks in advance

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Auckland to Hobbiton in a day

We have crusied before and aware of the pit falls with doing tours on your own, we will go over what you have also recommened. We will see Hobbiton or some other beautiful place. Mum really wont care, she will just be happy to be in New Zealand, mum is 80 and this is her dream trip. Thank you all for your help and reply's.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
779 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Auckland to Hobbiton in a day

I wish you lots of luck and hope your Mum's dream holiday comes true for her on this trip.

I hadn't realised you had your 80 year old Mum with you. Hobbiton is quite hilly to walk around. It is really just a huge valley with tracks carved into it and with lots of wooden facades as the hobbit houses. I took two 20 somethings who loved it but were slightly disappointed that you can't get inside any of the houses. There were some cute fences and gardens outside. You are pushed through too quickly.

All the inside filming of the hobbit houses was done in a big set in Peter Jackson's studio in Wellington.

Auckland has a lovely harbour and many nice things to do locally. I would love you to report back on what you decided to do and whether you enjoyed your day.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Auckland to Hobbiton in a day

If we get to Hobbiton i was planning to stay at the cafe with mum and let her have an afternoon tea while the others do the tour. The others are the ones that really want to see Hobbiton, i just get to arrange it.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Auckland to Hobbiton in a day

Hello just letting you know we made Hobbiton. We had a chat and took a vote that is was to risky trying to get there from Auckland, so we cancelled the hire car and used the hop on hop off bus to get around and see things, mum loved it, so did we all. We went to Hobbiton on the next stop Tauranga, we left first up and made 10.00 am tour and it was just amazing and we all had the best day, mum made it as far as the frog pond and she sat under a tree and we picked her up on the way to the Green Dragon Inn. We went and had a late lunch at the Skyline Rotorua, we had the best day ever, big thank you New Zealand.

15. Re: Auckland to Hobbiton in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 15, 2015