We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to see glow worms other than Waitomo?

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Topic
Places to see glow worms other than Waitomo?

Hi everyone,

I am a tourist in NZ and would love to see glowworms before I head back home.

However, I do not have enough time in my schedule to fit in a waitomo caves tour.

Does anyone know of another location that has glowworms? Preferably in Auckland city.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to see glow worms other than Waitomo?

Nikau Cave is a bit closer to Auckland than Waitomo, but still a 90 minute drive....

http://nikaucave.co.nz/

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to see glow worms other than Waitomo?

Let us know your iternary and can let you know if any good glow worm grottos around.

they are all over NZ and personally my favourite ones are those that are out in the bush and you can just marvel at them.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,255 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to see glow worms other than Waitomo?

There are glowworms all over but those in caves are visible by day. Waitomo is unique!

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to see glow worms other than Waitomo?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

Pretty much I only have one more night in Auckland before I head back to the States.

In live in East Auckland but I don't drive so going out during the day is very inconvenient.

Thanks for the help!

5. Re: Places to see glow worms other than Waitomo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 14, 2014