We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self drive itinerary from Auckland to Coramandel Peninsular.

Goolwa, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
self drive itinerary from Auckland to Coramandel Peninsular.

An/nyone got suggestions for best places to see and stay overnight on a 7 day trip from Auckland to Coramandel Peninsular.

No doubt there are some places that warrant a 2 night stay. I know September isn't the best time, so all I will do is pack some rain jackets!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self drive itinerary from Auckland to Coramandel Peninsular.

I have not been to Coromandel for a wee while but 7 days will give you a good amount of time to explore.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self drive itinerary from Auckland to Coramandel Peninsular.

It's a 2.5 hour drive from Auckland to Coromandel Town by the direct route and I cannot think of a single place en route that warrants a 1 night stay.

So, one option is a slow meander to Coromandel via Clevedon, Kaiaua Coast, Miranda Hot Springs and arrive in Coromandel late afternoon. You can spend a couple of nights in Coromandel, exploring, then over to Whitianga, Cooks Beach, Hahei, Hot Water Beach, for a relaxing 2 or 3 days, then on to Puka Park for your 7 days there.

I seem to recall that you are planning BOI after Puka Park, if not maybe 3 days there before heading to Coromandel.

Another option is to spend more time around Auckland - Waitakeres, Waiheke Island, Piha Beach.

Yet another option is to leave Auckland for Port Waikato, Raglan (overnight and a sunset cruise on the harbour), Bridal Veil Falls, Glow Worm Caves at Otorohanga, then up through Te Aroha, Thames to Coromandel.

These are all interesting drives.

Maybe someone who is more into the outdoors will make some other recommendations. I'm more a get into the car and drive type of person.

Edited: 11:37 pm, April 04, 2013
3. Re: self drive itinerary from Auckland to Coramandel Peninsular.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 06, 2014