We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Beach Vacation (with surfing)

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Quick Beach Vacation (with surfing)

My wife and I will be in Auckland at the end February (from a Thursday to Sunday), and I hoped to rent a car and head somewhere a couple of bours away with a lovely beach (for her) and surfing (for me). We'll have just spent a few weeks camping, so I think she'd prefer a proper bed, but we don't need anything fancy. Suggestions? Advice? Thanks very much.

-Graham

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,334 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Beach Vacation (with surfing)

Raglan or Mt. Maunganui come to mind.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g255105-i403-k30…

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Beach Vacation (with surfing)

you don't need to leave auckland region for surf beaches, pakiri is one of my favourites on the east coast.

two accommodation options there for all budgets and you could take in some of the matakana/warkworth area on the way!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Beach Vacation (with surfing)

If you stay close to Auckland you will have a choice of either the East or West Coast within an hourse drive for surfing depending on the weather when you are here.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Beach Vacation (with surfing)

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of basing ourselves in Auckland, but my wife says she wants something that feels like more of a vacation: we're from New York City, so when we get away, we try for more rural places.

No final decision yet, but Raglan seems like a good bet.

Thanks again.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick Beach Vacation (with surfing)

auckland city turns to rural very quickly :)

Tauranga
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick Beach Vacation (with surfing)

Google Papamoa Top 10 motor camp. Fits your wife's description perfectly.

7. Re: Quick Beach Vacation (with surfing)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 27, 2014