We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

My coming trip from Perth to Auckland will be the first time I have ever flown with Jetstar, so would appreciate any advice please. No direct flight from Perth, so have to go via Melbourne on the way over and Sydney coming back, but it is all under the 1 booking reference number, not separate ones. When I check in for the flight to Melbourne, will I also get the boarding pass for the Melbourne-Auckland flight, or do I have to do that in Melbourne? No check-in bags, only a small carry-on, so at least I don't have to worry about never seeing my bag again!

Thanks to all who can help.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,435 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

I don't fly Jetstar but generally with flights such as yours, you will be given your two boarding passes all the way to Auckland at Perth.

Then at Melbourne you again check in at the gate (not at the main check-in counter) and they will, in many cases, issue you a new boarding pass or just hand your original pass back after updating their system that you are there.

Best of luck with Jetstar - I see they have just can cancelled a number of Trans-Tasman flights over Christmas leaving many passangers stranded for the holidays.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

Check with the airline and make sure you get their answer in writing. Jetstar do not have a very good reputation here in NZ and any comments made by us are at best poorly informed and at worse guess work. Send them an email or ring them and ask to confirm by email.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,887 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

Hi,

Your confusion is just starting! IMHO if you can change carriers do it NOW!

http://www.dontflyjetstar.com/

Good Luck, if you fly with Jetstar be sure to allow at least a day eitherside of you ETA ans ETD to ensure you will make connecting flights.

Cheers

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,838 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

This is beginning to scare me - they are the only airline offering a one way ticket from China/HKG to Aust/NZ at a half-way reasonable price - (AIRNZ wants $NZ2000 for a ONE WAY ticket) - so I bit the bullet & booked them for my CNY holiday - wish me luck!

Edited: 3:02 am, November 26, 2012
New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

Zhuhai, Air New Zealand are currently offering a good price - www.airnewzealand.co.nz/china-and-hong-kong. If the travel period suits, could you cancel the Jetstar flight?

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

I'm vey surprised. Jet* so bad reputation there?

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

Jetstar has carried over 100 million passengers and while there was teething problems experienced by some passengers when they started in NZ, I often take advantage of their cheap fares (domestic and international) and have never had a problem.

Most of the criticism of Jetstar comes from those who don't use this airline.

Edited: 4:13 am, November 26, 2012
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,838 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

Selsey, this page doesn't open so it must be for NZ residents only!! I am an NZ FF but they seldom do one way fares other than across the ditch. Unfortunately they are pricing themselves out of the Asian market. I had to cancel my January student tour to NZ partly because the airfare was so high. Also ridiculous that the NZ Govt is offering preferential visas for China Southern Airlines passengers rather than NZ pax!!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

Zhuhai NZers dont need visas to return home. Parts of the Asia market as far as I am aware has never been a lucrative option for Air NZ hence they often use their Star alliance partners just as they now use Virgin Australia to cross the ditch to places like Brisbane.

Jetstar has been the topic of Radio talkback this evening, not much complimentary.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very confused over airport check in with Jetstar

I think Zhuhai was referring to Air NZ passengers. New Zealanders on China Southern Airlines would not benefit from the preferential visa arrangements either.