We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend away from Auckland

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
28 reviews
18 helpful votes
Weekend away from Auckland

Hi I am coming to Auckland for a business trip - I have a weekend free with my wife and would like to get out of Auckland. I will have a hire car.

Any suggestions on where to go on Friday night until flying out of Auckland PM on Sunday? Looking for a relaxing weekend.

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
96 posts
102 reviews
60 helpful votes
1. Re: Weekend away from Auckland

I would suggest Waiheke Island (visit beaches/vineyards or Warkworth/Matakana (you could visit the Farmers Market on Saturday at Matakana).

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
20,010 posts
130 reviews
82 helpful votes
2. Re: Weekend away from Auckland

The Matakana Coast is lovely. Short distance north of Auckland, and it has rolling hills, orchards and vineyards, winery cafes, the Saturday market in Matakana village, Goat island for snorkeling and the glass bottom boat, Kawau Island boat trip, regional parks, and pretty beaches and bays, tracts of native bush, streams and rivers.

Waiheke Island is also lovely, but you really are best to take a car across on the vehicular ferry to explore. Not a cheap option taking a car to Waiheke. Otherwise you would be parking your existing rental car up for the weekend, and using the island's transport options to explore.

Thames and Coromandel Town along the Firth of Thames are interesting areas. More rugged scenery than the Matakana Coast, but these towns are both historic in terms of former gold-mining and timber milling days. The Karangahake Gorge, and Waihi and Te Aroha are other places to visit and enjoy, for short bush walks and attractive scenery.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
43,179 posts
460 reviews
194 helpful votes
3. Re: Weekend away from Auckland

It depends on your interests. Do you want to see something uniquely NZ ? Rotorua is a worthwhile “tourist” destination and the Polynesian Pools make a very relaxing way to spend an evening.

Reply to: Weekend away from Auckland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted