We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Fargo (Via J.H. / Yellowstone) March 2014

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to Fargo (Via J.H. / Yellowstone) March 2014

We are from Winnipeg, Manitoba and are beginning to plan a visit to family in Victoria B.C. for next Spring and would like to come home through the U.S. See some things we've never seen and enjoy a change of scenery. We have some rough plans and I know that we're going to get some great advice to help us piece together some details that are difficult for us to know. One in particular is that I am aware that many parts of Yellowstone are closed to vehicles at that time.

So here goes....look forward to your advice.

We know that can take I-90 all the way from Seattle to Fargo. I would like to show my wife at least a little bit of Yellowstone because she's never been there. I was thinking that perhaps if we spent a few days in Jackson Hole, we would be able to do a day trip into Yellowstone while we were there.

Here are the questions.

Does it make sense to stay in J.H. for 4 days and do a day trip to Yellowstone during that time? Or is there another place that might make more sense?

We don't want to drive 16 hours a day so where's a good place for an overnight stop between Seattle and Jackson Hole? Spokane?

Once we leave J.H., what's the best way to get back on our way towards Fargo? Go back to I-90 where we got off?

That's it, I think the rest I will be comfortable figuring out myself.

I appreciate the advice everyone.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Fargo (Via J.H. / Yellowstone) March 2014

March is still pretty much winter and not so much spring in Yellowstone.

The only road in Yellowstone that will be open will be between Gardiner and Cooke City. Lodging closes down 3/3 Mammoth, 3/2 Snow Lodge. Roads won't start opening until mid-April.

If you want to see Yellowstone the only entrance will will be the North entrance with no services being open.

Opening and Closing dates

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/ocd_locale.htm

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Fargo (Via J.H. / Yellowstone) March 2014

Thank you, does this mean that the winter services like snow machine tours from Mammoth shut down in early March and are no longer available after that?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Fargo (Via J.H. / Yellowstone) March 2014

Yes, all of the roads and nearly all services close between the winter and spring seasons.

A little earlier in late February you can do the snowmobile/snowcoach tours and stay at either Old Faithful Snow Lodge or Mammoth.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,516 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to Fargo (Via J.H. / Yellowstone) March 2014

The last day for snowmobile and snowcoach tours based out of Mammoth next year is March 1-3rd depending on the activity.

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/…st

Deb

5. Re: Seattle to Fargo (Via J.H. / Yellowstone) March 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 10, 2014