We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
284 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

Hi everyone ... Finally the season is coming .

Im traveling for a week with my wife and daughter . we want to see Old faithful on a snowcoach but the prices from jackson are insane ( 250+ PP) mean that I would pay almost $800 for just the tour .

Also my google search shows only one company ( scenic safari) ...

Instead Im thinking on getting a Xanterra snowcoach tour from flagg ranch to old faithful and stay there for 3 nights , which will cost me the same $800(including the hotel and the tour round trip ) but in this case I would enjoy the tour plus the hotel/stay in YNP ...

Any other option ? , do you know a cheapest snowcoach tours company , Any idea ,... Im stuck here

Thanks all for yours answers/advises in advance

Edit: traveling January 2

Edited: 11:12 pm, September 12, 2012
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

The only way you can stay overnight at Old Faithful is to use Xanterra's snowcoach or snowmobiles. You can use other private companies to get to Old Faithful but you can not stay overnight.

The snowcoach rates listed on Xanterra are somewhat misleading as they are one-way only rates but you have to come back out so you purchase two one-way rides. The estimated rates for the 12/13 winter season snowcoach rides from Flagg Ranch to Old Faithful are $152 + taxes for adults (round trip) and $76 + taxes for children ages 3-11 (round trip). Buy them as part of a package and you save money with the added coupons they give you for breakfasts and additional % of on all purchases and extra tours. I wasn't going to do the package at first but then decided it was really a good deal and was glad I did.

There might be some private companies based out of West Yellowstone that will be cheaper than the private companies out of Jackson. If that is an option you might want to look into that as a possiblity.

Deb

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
284 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

HI Deb

I was stuck between having atour based on Jackson or taking the Xanterra tour and stay in the park . As I said before it makes more sense to stay cause the money to spend is the same for a daily tour and the Xanterra package .

By the way how do you get the package information . I cant find it on the website .

Problem with West yellowstone is the driving time from Jackson 129 beautiful miles ( almost 3 hours ) . However it could be an option , same tour to Old faithful is $320 for us 3 while Jackson is almost $800 , . At the end Im leaning to the stay inside the park as my daughter wants to do a couple tours ( snowshoes and some night tours )

She is very excited for this trip ... Btw any recommendation for traveling with kids ... already buy all her winter clothes including ski goggles... let me know if any special clothes or something else may be needed ...

Thanks as always ... BTW you are turning into my personal winter travel guide :)

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
284 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

Ok I found the package but the info is very confusing

shows price as : Package rates start at $375.00 per person double occupancy, $535.00 single occupancy ...

Is that per person per night ? that will be $3375 for 3 p 3 nights ... I hope Im wrong

If so then Im better buying the hotel ( $468 x 3 nights ) and the snowcoach ($380 RT ) still the difference with the package is huge to spend on tours,breaskfast and souvenirs ..

PLease correct me if Im wrong which I hope

Thanksss

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

I paid $300 per person (just myself and my grandson) each night. That included the snowcoach to and from, 2 nights in a cabin (2 queen beds), 2 coupons for free breakfast each morning (the buffet was $15 per person so that was $60 savings), 10% off all other food purchases, 10% off of regular purchases, and 10% off all additional tours and rentals (snowshoes, xcountry skis, lessons, day tours, etc). Staying at Old Faithful is not a cheap adventure....I was amazed how many larger families were there and was glad there was just two of us. I would love to go again and stay for 3-4 nights but would have to save for a long time to do so.

At first I didn't think it was a good deal but when I started thinking about how much I would save on the extras I decided to go for it. The cabins are cheaper than the Snow Lodge. We enjoyed the cabins....they were large and while you had to walk to and from the Snow Lodge each time you wanted to eat it really wasn't that bad.We had rented skis for the 2 days so we ended up skiing to and from and had a blast. A tip.....a cooler can be one of the two bags you are allowed to take per person. I would cram that cooler with snacks and other things to eat for lunch to keep your costs down. I saw many families eating out of coolers in the sitting areas around the Snow Lodge. We took some snacks in our suitcases but if I ever go again I will take a cooler.

If you decide to stay at Old Faithful you will need to call Xanterra directly to make the reservations because the lodging and the snowcoach has to be reserved at the same time to guarantee that you have transporation to and from Old Faithful on the days you need it. I would call asap as your days might already be taken.

Deb

Edited: 8:05 am, September 13, 2012
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
284 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

Thank you for all the info /... Im going to call to reserve it in this week ,Im going without the package as we dont have any experience with ski or skate or even snow/winter we may be only taking some guide tours , walk around and maybe get some ski lessons for my daughter .

I dont think I will use the full advantage of the package, 3 persons for 3 nights is very expensive $2700 when comparing to regular price $850 which included lodging and transport RT

Cooler is a great idea , that will save some bucks .

Btw could you recommend any of the tours for a 8 yo girl , something good but not too extreme .

Do you know any website which sells kids winter stuff ...

I know I ask too much but you has been a great helper ... Im going to have to send you a Christmas gift :)

Thank you

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,102 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

Waving hello!

I would look at Land's End and LLBean for kids winter clothes. If you are going to outfit her for winter, most of the kids around here like the bibs and jacket approach. If you fall in the snow you are not as likely to get snow down your pants with the bib top. A thermal Tee is good under the bib too!

Pam

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
284 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

HI Pam ... Here Im again looking for winter stuff and asking thousand questions ...

Those two sites are great , Im going to check it with my daughter , she couldnt find anything that likes in Sierra website .

She have all the thermals , fleece , gloves , hat , goggles . Needs bib , socks and a good ski jacket ... Fortunately me and wife are done with clothes .

As we are planning 3 nights of tours in Yellowstone , including a night tour I need to be sure she will be comfortable

Thank you for your advise ... Now I owe 2 Christmas gift :)

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

If you haven't already checked this page out it shows the options for the different tours based out of Old Faithful. You will need to scroll down a ways to get to Old Faithful. Once there you can click on the link to bring up specific details of the tour.

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/winter-act…

Two years ago, we took a snowcoach from Mammoth to Canyon and really liked it. It was a really, really long day though with a lot of time spent sitting in the snowcoach. There is a snowcoach tour from Old Faithful but it is pretty expensive ($135 adults, $67.50 for childrent ages 3-11).

While we were at OF this last February we did the Steam, Stars & Winter Soundscapes. It was a 3 hour tour so was a lot cheaper (this year estimated cost is $38 adult, $19 child). You go out in the dark in one of the small bombadiers to check out the geysers. If your daughter is not afraid of darkness, weird sounds and sights she would probably enjoy this. Of course, you would be with her. We walked out to one geyser that was making a really weird thumping noise and walked for about 3 blocks distance in pretty dark conditions as it was snowing pretty heavily. Our guide said that most nights the skies are clear or partially clear.

If we go again we will probably take the Canyon Snowshoe Tour. You go via a snowcoach to Canyon and then snowshoe along the Canyon with a guide. I like that option because you'd get to see more of the Canyon then just stopping at different viewing areas. However, it is expensive ($150 adult, $75 child). There are cheaper snowshoe tours available around the Old Faithful area.

There will be an ice rink just outside the Snow Lodge that is totally free. You do not even have to rent skates. You can rent cross country skis and take a lesson. The skis are yours for a 24 hour period so you can then try them out on your own just around the general OF area.

We have our own snowshoes so didn't have to rent them. They were fun to use because you could go on more of the boardwalks/trails in the OF area without having to worry about breaking through the snow while walking.

Deb

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

Think REI, Campmor, Eddie Bauer for winter clothes also.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
284 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need info for Snowcoach Vs Yellowstone stay

Thanks for the info .. The Yellowstone/Xanterra page has been one of our favorite along with jacksonholenet for the last 2 years . Now my daughter is involved on this adventure even she is checking for tours too , She was who told me about the Steam, Stars & Winter Soundscapes .

She isn't scare of dark and as long she is with us she will enjoy it ... Im more scare than her as our last trip we spent 3 hours in the black night riding back the snowmobile from Grand canyon and I know how cold and dark it can gets ,

About how many people usually are in the tour ? .

For sure the Canyon snowshoe tour is great but I will pass this time , I want her to get use to the cold/winter/snow before taking such a long tour

The ice rink would be a plus , I always wanted to tried but only ice rink in miami is always crowded , btw now you mention the cross country skis , what is the difference between this and regular skis ?

She also wants to take some ski lessons,snowshoes tours around OF and I want to take a day for the lower loop snowmobile tour ( just me) .

SO I guess I will be very busy :)

Last time in JAC/YNP we didnt bring any snow pants , due to the outdoors activities would you recommend me specific clothes like bibs/snowpants , ski jackets/gloves , we have all the winter clothes but not ski clothes.

Thank you Deb and Pam for your time