We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in South Lake Tahoe in mid Dec

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
What to wear in South Lake Tahoe in mid Dec

Hi,

We're going for a Ski holiday between 10/12/2012 -18/12/2012.

I've been told that its still quite warm off the slopes but the websites say it can be as low as -8C so im at a loss of what to pack.

It may sound like a stupid question but is there snow off the slopes?

Thanks

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in South Lake Tahoe in mid Dec

"I've been told that its still quite warm off the slopes . . ." This is confusing. Been told by who? It's still warm when? Where off the slopes? Can be or IS warm? Sure, you can feel warm, with heavy clothing, and exercising, and in sunshine. But you can also be cold. Yes, there can be snow everywhere (unless the only snow is manmade for skiing). Stateline is 6,000' and the slopes obviously higher than that. I used to go cross-country skiing a lot in the area when I lived in Sacramento. Some days could be warm, during the day at least, and some could be quite cold. When a snowstorm hits, few people are warm other than those in the lodges sipping hot toddies and the like (and those bundled up and staying quite active).

Edited: 9:39 am, September 24, 2012
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in South Lake Tahoe in mid Dec

You will be warm in snow clothes! Off the slopes, you could wear jeans with snow boots. You'll still want hat, gloves, a sweater, and a jacket.

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in South Lake Tahoe in mid Dec

Thanks for this just what i needed.

'You will be warm in snow clothes! Off the slopes, you could wear jeans with snow boots. You'll still want hat, gloves, a sweater, and a jacket.'

I was told by a man called Rob apparantly he worked there a few years back.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in South Lake Tahoe in mid Dec

December can be really snowy and cold or it can be mild and dry. Normally though you will need a jacket, sweaters and sweatshirts. We live in the area and always layer.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in South Lake Tahoe in mid Dec

She's from Birmingham though, so mild & dry will probably feel really cold.

6. Re: What to wear in South Lake Tahoe in mid Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, December 14, 2013