We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day on the Lake

Which South Lake Tahoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burke, Virginia
Level Contributor
144 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
One day on the Lake

We are coming to Reno for a Conference right after Labor Day so the 1st week in September. I am planning on spending either one full day or one afternoon exploring Lake Tahoe.

We aren't outdoorsmen by any means, but we would like to get a little taste of Lake Tahoe while we are so close. I was thinking of stopping in at Sand Harbor Beach, then heading west, possibly Kings Beach, then on to Tahoe City and Truckee River Outlet Gate Keepers Museum, from there head to Emerald Bay where we will tale Vikingsholm trailhead and tour the castle and hike up to Eagles Falls after, then on to Heavenly Village for the gondola ride and either finish out the day with the Dinner Cruise in Zephyr Cover on the MS Dixie II or dinner in Incline Village at the Bistro.

Is 1/2 day sufficient or do we need to dedicate a full day?

woudl it be better to explore on our own or should we go on a guided tour? Did I leave out any must dos or have I included something that I shouldn't have? Any feedback would be very appreciated!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One day on the Lake

BTW limited operation for Heavenly gondola began 9/7/2010 and 9/9/2011.

Labor Day 2011 was the 5th so looks like it was open during the week after but only Fri Sat & Sun starting the 9th. In 2010 not open the weekdays after but on Fri Sat & Sun.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: One day on the Lake

"We aren't outdoorsmen by any means, but we would like to get a little taste of Lake Tahoe"

The trail at Emerald Bay to Vikingsholm Castle is a very steep 1 mile trail from the parking lot down to the beach. The way down is a nice hike, but the way back up can be difficult! Just letting you know so you will be prepared, and bring water. There are some benches to take a rest.

As everyone says, you will need more than a half or full day to do everything on your list. It will be worth it to see how much you can accomplish.

You must have been doing your homework. Sand Harbor is our favorite place to spend part of the day. Clear water, big boulders, and great views of the lake and mountains.

Le Bistro is an excellent restaurant in the back of a strip mall, among the pine trees, that doesn't get talked about much here. We love going there, as it's across the street from the Hyatt on Country Club Dr. They have a fabulous 5 course meal for $50.

You could go to the Lone Eagle Grill on the water at the Hyatt, and sit out side for cocktails around the fire pit, and watch the beautiful sunset over the lake, and then walk over to Le Bristo for dinner reservations.

http://loneeaglegrille.com/

After dinner it's only a 45 minute drive over the Mt. Rose Hwy. to Reno.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One day on the Lake

Sand Harbor over Kings Beach! The longer the better in this beautiful area of CA. I would definitely try for the one full day over the half day here.

Enjoy your time in Lake Tahoe, Fall is a beautiful time to visit. We were in Truckee this past Fall and had lunch at the gorgeous Ritz-Carlton there. :)

14. Re: One day on the Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:42 am, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe