We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

Coral Gables...
4 posts
Save Topic
No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

It appears that South Lake Tahoe is experiencing a horrible lack of snow just when my family is planning to arrive for a ski vacation. Should I cancel the trip and lose the entire cost of the accommodations, but salvage the air fare (with change fees) or are there other entertaining things to do for 16 girl and 17 year old boy in the area. They do not want to ski down the same run over and over again for a week. Everyone is so disappointed with the lack of snow.

South Lake Tahoe...
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

There are alot of things to do really. You could hike very rarely are we able to hike this time of year and there are many beautiful vistas, you could rent mnt bikes and ride, the trails are incredible right now with the frozen soil, you could still all go up on the mnt and enjoy what is open Heavenly does have incredible snow making abilities, your whole family could treat them selves to massages, you could enjoy all of the wonderful restaurants in town, the list continues it just takes some creativity.

Heidi

www.oneworldhealingmassage.com

Coral Gables...
4 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

Heidi - Thank you so much for the suggestions.

California
Level Contributor
79 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

Bad news 5 day forecast no snow thru Christmas. I would suggest Northstar as they have the best fake snow. Last year at this time Tahoe had 10ft of base. This year really bad.

Mountain biking however is outstanding in the Tahoe Basin, but I'm unsure if bike rentals are operating.

tahoevacationguide.com/Activities/mountainbi…

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

I am currently at Heavenly since Saturday 12/17 and leave on 12/25. We've skied every day, twice at Northstar. Both areas have enough runs open and the conditions are excellent for man made snow. We experience fog, wind, cold, sun, clouds and warmth. The conditions are better then our expectations. Bring many layers to be prepared for variations in the weather. Don't be worried you'll have a good time, it not optimum, but it could be much worse. My recommendation is to get out early it's less crowded and the groomed slopes are very nice. It gets more crowded after 11am and if the wind is blowing the top can be icy in spots. You can now ski from Nevada to California, but not back. The shuttles run frequently between the bases and are very easy to navigate.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

That's good to hear.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

I was also at South Lake Tahoe a few days ago. Without snow making machines the ski resorts would not be operating. I talked to a few skiers and they said the conditions were not that bad. What a change from last year!

London
Level Contributor
967 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

Take the boat trip to emerald bay, its stunning.

Seattle
Level Contributor
14 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

There is no snow and none in sight. Skiing at Heavenly was descent on Saturday with man made snow..but not the winter wonderland we were expecting. Thinking of leaving early since there is no snow in the forecast.

Midwest
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

Can someone tell me about the boat trip to emerald bay? We are going to be in Tahoe this weekend and still no snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

London
Level Contributor
967 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: No Snow in South Lake Tahoe - What can we do?

Yes check at your hotel for the times of the boat and they will also give you directions as to where to catch the boat from. Take your camera. Also go on the cable car up to heavenly get off at the first station and look at the scenery then continue up to heavenly. Stunning !

Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe