We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embassy Suites vs. Marriott Grand Experience/Timber Lodge

Rotterdam
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Embassy Suites vs. Marriott Grand Experience/Timber Lodge

Just booked my flights for Mar 2011 to Reno. Now, trying to decide on accomodations for husband and 2 kids (ages 8,10). Love the look of the Marriotts (stayed at similar place last year at the Canyons, Utah). But for the same price of the Marriot, I can get breakfast and 2 ski lift tickets for 5 days at Embassy Suites. What to do??? My husband says spend the extra bucks for the Marriott, but wondering if there is a "huge" difference in accomodations. (I'm the one watching the $$). Lift ticket prices are not up (as well as ski schools). What is the ballpark amount for those??

Also, is there a shuttle bus from Reno airport to the resorts?

Thanks for any feedback!

Stephanie

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embassy Suites vs. Marriott Grand Experience/Timber Lodge

There is only the South Tahoe Express that runs between Reno & SLT. It has a per person cost. No free shuttles. http://www.southtahoeexpress.com/

I have stayed multiple times in all three properties that you ask about. Obviously you would get lots more space in the Timber Lodge or the Grand as well as a kitchen. Though the Embassy stay includes breakfast, there is a fantastic grocery store next to the Timber Lodge and the grand on Lake Tahoe Blvd where you could load up on food that you could prepare and not have to go out.

You’ll have to decide if you can economize on meals to make staying at the Marriott properties the better deal or take the deal at the Embassy and plan to dine out for the other meals. All 3 properties are right in a row and all are very good. The Grand is the highest end as far as the unit layout.

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embassy Suites vs. Marriott Grand Experience/Timber Lodge

Skip the Embassy.........stay at either Marriott, you can't go wrong.......and as previous poster said, there is a great grocery store right across the street that has everything you need for your stay.......and the prices are very reasonable.....you will be able to stock up and save money in the long run....having food in your condo.

Enjoy your stay......Heavenly has great intermediate tree skiing for your family.........My daughters are the same age.....and we were in the trees for 3 days straight........they had a blast.

Level Contributor
36,192 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embassy Suites vs. Marriott Grand Experience/Timber Lodge

Marriott Timber Lodge is a very nice place, we stayed there for 3 nights under the Timeshare Invitation. :).

4. Re: Embassy Suites vs. Marriott Grand Experience/Timber Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, October 26, 2012
Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe