We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diging in Tofo or Bazaruto in April?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Diging in Tofo or Bazaruto in April?

I am planning a diving trip in April 2017 and looking for a good, quiet location. Diving sites I've seen so far mention, that the rainy season extends to April. Is it still "diveable"? What sould I expect in Tofo around April? (Visibility, chance for Manta/Whaleshark)

Other questions are the usual from a first-time visitor to southern Africa (haven't been to any countries in the neighbourhood), how is safety around Tofo/any social unrest to expect? How crowded is it in April? (Any school holidays in SA?)

Other option for me would be Bazaruto, should that be a better option for a diver, who is not interested in nightlife and prefers nature+underwater activities?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diging in Tofo or Bazaruto in April?

Sorry, misspelled, diving of course...

2. Re: Diging in Tofo or Bazaruto in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, November 05, 2016
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diging in Tofo or Bazaruto in April?

Thanks Eddie! Mantas are definitely good news, haven't had the chance to see one yet (of course, there is none in the Mediterranean and very rare in the Red Sea).

I was also wondering, if there is a direct flight from Europe or the Gulf to Inhambane. Going through JNB sounds - and seems rather pricey.

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diging in Tofo or Bazaruto in April?

I dont think wet season will be an issue for you, especially in the southern part of Mozambique where the rainy season isnt as intense and consistent like the north. There is a very small probability of a big storm, but sometimes that makes an even better travel story.

You should see whale sharks and mantas no problem at Tofo, as long as you give it a few dives.

Tofo is wonderfully safe, just petty theft a threat. Lockup your valuables.

The war up north has no affect on this area.

Flights to Inhambane can ONLY be caught from Joburg or Maputo. You can always arrive in Maptuo and bus up to

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diging in Tofo or Bazaruto in April?

April is a good time, and fairly quiet if not coinciding with SA school holidays.

Problem of going when it's very quiet is you wont have as much diving flexibility.

Safety is fine....better than most countries in the region

Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Diging in Tofo or Bazaruto in April?

Try Zavora, the diving is amazing and the area is quite quiet with an amazing beach. There might be a chance of Manta's and perhaps whales if they decided to come past so early

7. Re: Diging in Tofo or Bazaruto in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, February 04, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Tofo