We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofo trip report

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
76 posts
762 reviews
Save Topic
Tofo trip report

We spent eight nights in Tofo in September 2016, and found it to be a fun, friendly, idyllic beach destination.

The range of activities fthrough surfing, swimming, ocean safaris, scuba diving, cycling horse riding etc were tremendous, and I was just as happy lolling about watching the comings and goings on the beach.

Some things I learned that I either didn't know or struggled to find clear info on it before I went there:

- there's a small but active scene, with a decent choice of places to eat and drink, including in the town market area. People turn in relatively early most nights but Fridays in Hotel Tofo Mar and Sundays in the little bars in the market area are a blast.

- prices are very low for the European pocket. 80 cent a beer, most meals for two with drinks coming in at €15 or sometimes less, my highlight deal was €4 for a lobster and chips.

- I felt completely safe, and one half-hearted attempt aside from a policeman, no scamming or bribe issues.

- swimming is safe in an area to the south of Tofo Beach, and the coastline offers miles of beautiful walks

I've given a detailed account here:

https:/…

And some video footage including drone and underwater shots here:

https://youtu.be/yZTC7UV5v_s

17 replies to this topic
1. Re: Tofo trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 am, October 20, 2016

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
76 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tofo trip report

Hi Eddie, thanks for your very kind comments. Yes I'd be delighted for you to use it on the website, which I used in advance of going to find out loads!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tofo trip report

Awesome! Love your trip report and video! We are staying at the Tofo Mar as well, I'm super excited to go diving there! Sounds/looks like you had a great trip! Where did you find lobster and chips for €4?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
76 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tofo trip report

Thanks 1FourFun, you'll love it! The lobster was in Sombras, a local restaurant just a minute or 2 walk from the hotel, up beyond Brankos a little. It's a no-frills type of place, but we ate there a couple of times and it was fresh seafood well prepared.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tofo trip report

Perfect! Thxs for the tip!

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tofo trip report

Hi, really enjoyed your report and video! I'm hoping to visit Tofo next spring, primarily to dive... Please is there any budget accommodation you can recommend? I'm a solo female traveller, a bit too old to party all night, so looking for somewhere relatively peaceful! Many thanks in advance for any tips! Also, how did you travel, please, from Maputo to Tofo, and was it expensive? Thanks again!

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tofo trip report

AS per your last post, I would recommend Fatimas, or Nordins. Nordins is probably quieter and has rooms for 2.000mtn ($25). You can get both of their contact details on www.mozambicanhotels.com/tofo-hotels

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tofo trip report

Araujo, thanks once again! As I haven't been to Mozambique before, I'm now wondering whether I should just stay in Tofo, or try to travel further north as well, although I'm not sure how affordable this would be without an organised tour? I've read varying reports, some saying the diving is quieter and more pristine in the north (although I don't want to miss the chance to see a whale shark!). Is it possible to combine the two, and worth it in one trip? Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks again!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
76 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tofo trip report

Thanks Annie7712, we stayed in Hotel Tofo Mar, which is probably not a budget option. Friends of ours stayed in the Pariango and they thought it was very good, quiet but with the choice of the town close at hand. I would say that Tofo was not a "party all night" place, so you should be ok!

We flew from Maputo to Inhambane, as we were short on time - again, this was quite expensive, about €95 each way. Hope you have a great trip!

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tofo trip report

2 mile reef is one of the highlights of all southern Africa for divers and snorkellers. Not cheap, but worth it

Reply to: Tofo trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tofo