We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Sharks In June?

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
467 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Sharks In June?

My wife and I are traveling to Africa this summer and are planning a few stops over 3 weeks. We are very determined to swim with whale sharks at some point in our lives. We tried in the Philippines last year but they left the area we visited a week or two before we arrived. :(. Mozambique and Tofo seem like a great spot. But I can't find specifics on the concentration of them or the conditions in early June. Any help is appreciated. I know they are wild animals and nothing is guaranteed. However, I'd like to know that there is a very good chance of seeing them that time of year if we go! Thank you so much!

6 replies to this topic
Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
467 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Sharks In June?

Anyone?

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Sharks In June?

Hi,

Numbers of Whale Sharks have dropped a lot in Tofo in the last few years, the Chinese are fishing everything....

you used to be able to pop up any time but I think it is a little more seasonal now, however I dont know the best seasons! I would recommend looking at the Facebook Group "Mozambique Tourism para todos", it has lots of experts on Moz tourism there.

Marlow
Level Contributor
294 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Sharks In June?

Hi,

If you're really keen to swim with whale sharks - go to Mexico (near Cancun) and you can guarantee them! I think the best time is July and August when there are literally hundreds of them there but I think you can also see them in June and September.

MUCH nearer for you than Mozambique!!

4. Re: Whale Sharks In June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, July 24, 2016

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Sharks In June?

Hi Librahi,

Did you end up seeing Whale sharks in Tofo?

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
467 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Sharks In June?

We didn't go. Decided to do Zanzibar instead.

Reply to: Whale Sharks In June?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tofo