We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation payment options

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
accommodation payment options

Hi there I have booked accommodation at Kalk Bay Majestic Village and have been requested to send the deposit via a bank transfer as they have no credit card facilities. Does this sound okay? is this common practice in Cape Town?

20 replies to this topic
north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: accommodation payment options

I am only a 4 times visitor to SA but I have never been asked to pay by bank transfer and I have stayed in many small b&bs over the years. Most do take credit cards but where they don't they normally ask for cash on arrival or departure. Quite a few have had uk bank accounts where I can transfer money by internet banking. Bank transfer would put me off I am afraid. The last and only time I did this the bank charged me £35!!! We are in SA at present and our next b&b took our booking on trust and we will pay on departure!! I think that this all goes to show that the banking system ought to get up to speed. I wouldn't hesitate to pay by bank transfer if it was free.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: accommodation payment options

I have been to this place twice and i have always paid cash on arrival. There are several establishments that do not accept credit card payment.

13. Re: accommodation payment options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, February 11, 2014
Edited: 6:05 pm, February 11, 2014

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: accommodation payment options

Mercy joyceyorks! 35 quid well I thought here was highway robbery. The point seems to have been lost on some in this thread O/S transactions for non-locals cost a horrendous amount in fees for no acceptance of CC payments or facility to do so. Agree with you, if free I'd happily do a direct transfer ( once I had checked bona fides and was pretty confident all above board) but to pay up to and additionally over 50 % in fees for an accommodation deposit for a night or 2, or more to save the owner coughing up , well … and Id 'bet the rate doesn't reflect proportionately for internationals visiting. Even if it does, consumer beware as CC transactions have some degree of protection. I'd book elsewhere. Plenty of great choices around w/o that. Free market forces apply. ~~ But if you want to stay in a particular place it is up to the individual if they wish to do so. Their call.

man of kent
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: accommodation payment options

Hi Guys We have done this many times never had a problem, saying that we now know the people we rent with so we now pay on arrival

Edited: 10:24 am, February 11, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: accommodation payment options

Rupert, the OP does not know the establishment, has never been,youre a regular ( as I recall many times from your posts ... same place is that not right ? ) they as you say won't ask for. Not the same case scenario. And no bank fees for you .Apples for Apples please

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: accommodation payment options

I think the OP has now heard all sorts of opinions, so why would you not let them make their own, now "informed" decision instead of conter-commenting each contribution that does not reflect your opinion?

I just find it bad taste to warn people for establishments that do NOT accept credit cards and questioning their credit reputation. They may have VERY valid reasons for that and they are most probably not to rip people off.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 11:44 am, February 11, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: accommodation payment options

No one is disputing free choice Klaus but if you take time to read the threads.. .w/o knee jerking reaction if you are directing your comments at all who are international visitors ( a lot re visit many times ) because we are saying the charges are outrageous incurred to us , please re- read. We are not debasing your Lodge in Hazyview or any one elses. Am sure from TA reviews and comments will overule emotional comments such as " rip off".

man of kent
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: accommodation payment options

Hi Guys I have just paid a 6000 rand deposit to the Lodge Afrique in St Lucia and it only cost me £10 bank fees, I think its just your own preference, we are all trying to help

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: accommodation payment options

Payments we receive are more than 98% credit card payments, there are still a few international transfers because people do not trust the internet with their CC details. For all those who still are in doubt, we have a German account as well. All to please the different interests.

Even we pay on top of what the guests pays, app. R135.00, for any incoming international transaction. I agree, that international transfer can be rather expensive for both sides and the cost is not justified, and this is a rip off IMHO.

My above comment with regards to "rip off" was meant to those who expect and assume a fraudulent activity when doing an international transfer and one should not trust establishments that do not accept CC. It had nothing to do with the cost of transactions or the preference of international travellers, which we more than accommodate in our policies (despite the cost implication).

I am just not very fond of statements like:

"I would be very concerned."

" If a company can't accept credit cards, I don't want to deal with them, as it reduces trust completely."

"If a commercial tourism services company does not accept Credit Cards then DON'T trust them - they either don't have enough credit standing to be granted CC facilities by their bank,..."

as statements like this as a result will bring the establishment into bad reputation, for no sound reason.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 1:16 pm, February 11, 2014
Reply to: accommodation payment options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kalk Bay