We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kalk bay - a good choice?

Which Kalk Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
kalk bay - a good choice?

we have been to cape town twice now staying the first time in the city and this february in camps bay. we feel we have one more trip to this area. having driven through kalk bay in feb 2012 on our way to boulders and cape point we thought it looked very pretty. lots of little 'designer' type shops, cafes etc. however we were put off by the extensive road works and didnt stop!!!! we didnt make it this year either as we only had 3 days before moving on to a safari. we are already thinking about feb 2014 and would like to base ourselves in kalk bay for 3 - 4 days. having done most of the 'must sees' we just want somewhere nice to 'chill out' and enjoy good food and wine before moving on to somewhere else for 3 days (any suggestions?) Would kalk bay fit the bill?

20 replies to this topic
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kalk bay - a good choice?

Hello and good friends of ours as well as my parents have stayed in Kalk Bay and really enjoyed it. Good atmosphere and good places to eat. I have not been to Kalk Bay but have visited Cape Town a few times. For me now though I stick to the eastern side of the country.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Cape Town
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: kalk bay - a good choice?

Kalk Bay is a lovely place. We live in Simonstown and go there many times a week. Just yesterday we drove through it. Many people will try and warn you about the road works. There have been road works and they have moved on and beyond Kalk Bay proper. Those who goes to work and need to be a place at a time is effected but people who are not in a hurry like you and us will enjoy it. Stay in Kalk Bay and have lots of fun. Read more on the Kalk Bay and the road works http://goo.gl/1xLzW

Have fun

Johan Horak

Cape Holiday Accommodations

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kalk bay - a good choice?

Kalk Bay is a great spot for a couple of days. Olympia Café is an institution, especially for Brunch, and the harbour has a number of restaurants. My favourite, although it looks like noting more than a canteen is Kalkys. It is great value for money and the fish is straight off the boat. There are of course, more upmarket options available as well.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: kalk bay - a good choice?

Yes Kalk Bay is a very good choice & perhaps the road works will be completed by Feb 2014.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kalk bay - a good choice?

You will definitely enjoy Kalk Bay. Go to The Brass Bell for a meal, pricey, but its on the sea side of the railway line and the location is amazing. Go for a small-boat trip around Simonstown Harbour and get up close and personal with SA's warships, interesting, and nice to sea the land from the sea.

Moving on from Kalk Bay - you could try Hermanus or Stellenbosch or Franschhoek. Google them to find out more or ask on TA. People who live there or visit often may be able to offer good suggestions on where to stay and what to do, etc. They are all very popular towns. My favourite would be Franschhoek.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kalk bay - a good choice?

My vote goes for Kalk Bay as well!!

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

north east
Level Contributor
279 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kalk bay - a good choice?

Hi. We stayed in kalk Bay for 3 days on our third visit to the Cape Town area & Enjoyed our stay. We stayed at the Chartfield which I would definately recommend, their breakfasts are great, the staff are lovely & the location is within a short stroll of several nice places for dinner.

We found Kalk Bay to be a nice safe area to walk about (our baby was only 3 & a half months at the time), to have good eating options & to be a great location for popping off to other places, everywhere seemed only a very short drive. Whilst there we still road works (nov 12) they caused nowhere near the problems we had experienced with them back in 2011.

Overall we found it a good choice & I would certainly stay there again (Cape Town has become our go to place when we want an easy relaxed break for some down time, sunshine & great food).

Swellendam, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kalk bay - a good choice?

Agree with all of the above. If you're looking for great food, character, quirky art, interesting books & creative shops, then Kalk Bay it is! I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but would also recommend Franschhoek for 3 days for exceptional food & wine. I imagine you could google both and see which speaks to your heart.

The roadworks are an issue (we spent an hour in them about a month ago - 3 separate stop & starts). However, by Feb 2014, I imagine they would've moved past Kalk Bay. They REALLY are necessary and they've done an amazing job where they've finished. Beautiful paving, demarcated sitting areas and have improved the aesthetics as well as 'the workings' of the area. Truly.

Happy planning and wow, thank you for visiting our beautiful country so many times!

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: kalk bay - a good choice?

Thank You Alison for the update on the improvements.

Swellendam, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kalk bay - a good choice?

Thank you 'braaiseason', always nice to see your name pop up! :)

Reply to: kalk bay - a good choice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kalk Bay