We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

Massapequa Park, NY
Level Contributor
344 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

We are staying at La Minerva and just received an email from them offering their hostess and taxi services at a cost of 60 euros per person. We have never been to Capri before and would greatly appreciate advice as to the best/easiest way to get to our hotel. Should we book through the hotel, or take our chances with assistance once we arrive? Thank you so much

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

What? 60 euros per person? From which port? Surely not Marina Grande? If so it's the ultimate rip off.

If it's from Naples it's still a rip off. Get your own way there on the ferry and a taxi to the hotel should be no more than 20 euros for both of you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,469 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

The hotel is in the pedestrian only portion of that part of the island - no cars at all; so I am guessing the taxi service may just be from the port up to the where one can go no further which is right at the piazzetta - there are porters that your hotel can arrange meaning someone would meet when you disembark from the ferry/hydrofoil and then take your bags up to the hotel so you don't have to carry your luggage to the hotel.

You will see names like "Via Tragara" and others on the map of Capri (near the piazzetta) but it is ALL pedestrian beyond the beginning of the tiny piazzetta.

If you look at the hotel's website you will see what is being charged and for what:

http://www.laminervacapri.com/en/location

Note that the "hostess" goes with you in the taxi up to the piazzetta, has a porter for your bags and then walks with you to the hotel.

Ridiculous price to pay for that. You could hop on the funiculare for about 5 euros (probably even less, can't recall right) which takes you right up to the piazzetta and, following a map (you can see one at www.capri.net or google maps) make your way for about 10-15 minutes to the hotel - cost will be minimal. You could ask how much a porter would cost. I only take a carry on so never get a porter. (I'm staying at that hotel in the Fall)

A taxi last time I was there was just 15 euros (few years ago)- given that the ride takes all of about 7 minutes - the charges being asked by the hotel are really a tad much. Maybe it is now more than 15 euros but, even so, it won't cost what they are asking. The taxi they will have on offer vs the taxi you would take on your own will take you to the exact same spot.

New York
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

I stayed at Minerva last week. If you let them know which boat you are arriving on they have someone meet you free of charge to direct you in getting to the hotel. They sent me an email a few days before I was due to arrive asking which boat I would be on. When I got off the boat the person was there waiting. He had a funicular ticket for me and a little map to the hotel once I arrived to the main square. He also was making sure my luggage went to a porter however I chose to keep my luggage because I wanted my things right away. I know the charge from the porters is 10 euro per bag and I don't think the hotel was going to pay for it, but they were making sure everything was smooth and easy. I do not recommend you handle your own luggage unless it's tiny and lightweight. There are steps involved and the hotel is a 10-15 minute walk from the main square of Capri after you take the funicular.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
677 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

Hijacking on to this thread, if I might. On Sunday, We will be going to La Tosca Hotel with two 26" rolled bags for the three of us. Would it be difficult to roll them from the top of the funicular to the hotel, or should we have porters take them from there? I can manage steps, but not 100 of them...

New York
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

When you get off the funicular there are steps up from the funicular and then a second set of steps up. Not hundreds, but a regular size staircase.The rest of the way won't have steps, but mostly if not all cobblestone paths and it's about a 12 minute walk to Tosca.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
677 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

Thank you! Just what I needed to know. I read there are porters at the top and at the bottom of the funicular if you want to use them.

We are going to Positano afterwards and staying at Villa Rosa. Do you know if the road from the ferry is very steep and cobblestone as well?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,469 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

There is no road from the dock (there is no harbor in Positano, just one dock) to the road on which your hotel is located. You will disembark and then when facing the village (with your back to the sea), walk towards the beachfront restaurants, turn right and then head up the stairs to the left of Hotel Buca di Bacco - you can't miss the steps leading up -

You need to walk up (yes, it is all up - some steps, some inclines past the shops, etc as this is the pedestrian only part of the village) - there is a short cut to the road of your hotel but it is a rather lengthy set of steps that I think would be challenging with the luggage you mentioned having with you - so, just follow onto Piazza dei Mulini (the walkway will widen in front of you and you will see a small road with cars/buses - that is the piazza) turn right and head up Via Cristoforo Colombo - your hotel will be about a 5 to 7 minute walk up the road.

You can google map your hotel's location - so you know where all this is located. The whole walk will likely take you about 20 minutes -

There are porters your hotel can arrange for you - that walkway up can be challenging with the large bags you said you were bringing - if they are heavy, it is a drag. Up to you. The porters are down by the dock but your hotel should be able to confirm with you the price and I'm not sure if they can do the arranging for you or if you would need to do it yourself upon arrival at the dock.

Here's a webcam of Positano - and the beach - you can see that spot that juts out into the sea - that is the "dock" - the view from this webcam is across the street from where you will be staying:

www.campaniameteo.it/dettaglio_webcam.php…

Edited: 8:51 am, June 04, 2013
Providence, RI
Level Contributor
677 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

Thank you momcat! I know you advocate carry on luggage, but there is no way my son could get his bag up steps (he is very tiny for his age, and barely 50 lbs), so for us it was easier to divide his things between two bags, but make sure they were not too heavy. He carries a backpack with all the toys, electronics and books to keep him occupied. I think we will use a porter, my husband had knee surgery in the fall, and while recovered, I see no reason to put additional strain on it with all the walking and hiking we intend to do.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,469 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

Oh, I agree - the porter is the way to go. You don't want to get there already stressed out. This way you could take your time going up - maybe stop and grab a gelato since you won't need to rush. There are some steep steps that could be difficult from someone who had knee surgery - but, taking it slow will probably help reduce those problems.

It's a great location - Have a good holiday!

New York
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Advice for getting from Port to Hotel

Based on everything else you wrote I highly recommend the porter from Capri ferry to Tosca as well. There's inclines, crowds, cobblestone streets, and steps at the funicular. With luggage and a child it's probably more than a 12 minute walk.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Capri