We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capri Day Tour - Advice

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Capri Day Tour - Advice

I will be traveling with a tour group and our last stop is Sorrento. The group is offering an optional add-on tour of Capri for $115 per person. This includes local guide, round trip transportation to the port, round trip transportation by fast boat, and minibus or cable car transportation on the island. The sights that are listed as part of the tour are Anacapri, shopping, La Piazzetta, and the Gardens of Augustus. Is this worth the price? Are we better off purchasing another tour online ahead of time or buying something the day-of right on the island?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capri Day Tour - Advice

Are you staying overnight in Sorrento? It is very easy to visit Capri on your own for a lot less than this.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,108 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Capri Day Tour - Advice

I can't see the need for a tour of this island; much of it is pedestrian only and can be done easily on your own - check www.capri.net to see what your wonderful choices are - the piazzetta would be the first OFF my list - just an area crowded with daytrippers around a bunch of designer stores (stores you see everywhere).

The buses are easy to deal with on the island; the funiculare up to the piazzetta (which you can walk away from in five minutes and be blissfully free of crowds) is maybe 5 euros (not sure, haven't been in awhile - I doubt it is even 5 but it could be now).

That site as well as this info can help you decide if want to tour or tackle it on your own (very easy to do):

capritourism.com/imgg/…capri_turismo.pdf

note: this piece is in different languages, you will come across the English descriptions as you scroll through it.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capri Day Tour - Advice

Yes, we are staying in Sorrento at Hotel Central. I've mapped it and it looks like a 7 minute drive (but more like a 25 minute walk since we won't have a car) to the port.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capri Day Tour - Advice

It looks like going it on our own is the way to go. I will definitely plan to avoid the piazzetta (thanks @MomCat1992). Any "musts" (either attractions or experiences) that you all have on the list that I should maybe focus my limited time on? Blue grotto? Villa Jovis? Boat ride around island?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,412 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capri Day Tour - Advice

I spent 24 glorious hours on Capri in October last year - this wasn't near enough - but one highlight was a boat ride around the island with time for swimming in those emerald waters. I can't rave enough about just how beautiful that trip was. You can pick up these boat tours from Marina Grande (which is where your hydrofoil will dock). There are many to choose from - go with a group or just with your companions. Have a look around and check the prices.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capri Day Tour - Advice

Here's an old thread with info on how to do a day in Capri. Read Trippygirl's post #3 and my post #6.

Do leave as early as possible so that you have maximum time on Capri. We walked down the step street and steps in Sorrento to the marina to catch the ferry to Capri. We took the bus back up and got off at the first stop at the top.

tripadvisor.com/…31267573

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,108 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Capri Day Tour - Advice

Be aware that the Blue Grotto can end up being closed off if the sea is too high, even in beautiful weather. A boat ride of a few hours around the island can be really fun; it will stop and you can jump in the sea and swim. There is the chairlift to Mont Solaro - to the highest point of the island; there are a lot of hikes - the tourist office will likely have maps for that.

There are also the ancient sites - the www.capri.net site has most, if not all, of what there is to enjoy. Villa Jovis, Villa San Michele, etc - read up on it and decide which all seems most interesting to you.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,638 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Capri Day Tour - Advice

The crowds in Capri can be terrible, but a five minute walk towards, say Villa Jovis, and you are alone.

9. Re: Capri Day Tour - Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 30, 2014