We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some tips about Labuan Bajo

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
160 reviews
Save Topic
Some tips about Labuan Bajo

We spent three nights in Labuan Bajo in May 2012 as we wanted to visit Komodo National Park. I found it hard to get decent information about activities, tours and hotels in Labuan Bajo (LB) in advance so want to share some observations with those planning travelling there.

Accommodation: there are a group of hotels along the beach to the south, billing themselves as five-star hotels – they are not! But they are much better that the backpacker-style accommodation available in LB.

Transport: The airport is close to LB so the most you will pay is 50,000 rp, and that will get you south to the Jayakarta Hotel.

Central LB: There is not much to do in town. There are three or four good-quality restaurants, and they are all bunched together near the entrance to the port. Other than that – forget it.

Day tours: Most tours to Komodo National Park offer the same things – so you may as well go for the cheapest one. Note that the Komodo Dragons are found on two islands: Komodo and Rinca. Rinca is 2-hours by boat, Komodo is more like 4-hours! Both islands have National Park offices and guides. Komodo is said to be more tropical, but I didn't go there.

Taxi drivers from the airport will be able to arrange boat trips to the national park, and it may be worth haggling with them. Otherwise, there are tour operators all down the main street of LB that will offer you good deals no matter what the time of day.

Beware: the dragons bite. A bite can cause death!

Do go snorkelling if you can. The fish and coral are spectacular.

Don't walk on the main street of LB at night – there is no footpath to or street lights. Just get to the area where the restaurants.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some tips about Labuan Bajo

Thanks for your info

As we are thinking of going in may

Do you know what the weather is like at this time of year ?

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some tips about Labuan Bajo

May is early dry season in the region, still some green colour from the rain period, but starting to dry out for the 'dry' season ahead.

Should be pleasant with clear water and normally clear skies.

Bit like a tropical paradise :)

3. Re: Some tips about Labuan Bajo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, August 19, 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Some tips about Labuan Bajo

To explore and enjoy the vast 'KOMODO National Park' archipelago takes at least 3 days liveaboard, not including the stay (at least 2 days) at Labuanbajo.

You can share the boat from LabuanBajo with another tourist/traveller, to do this the first time you arrive at LabuanBajo (after check-in at the hotel) you have to ask around at the harbour for available liveaboard group for the next morning trip, there are a lot of groups/boat to choose at anytime.

The rates for a medium size ship that has 20 Beds (= max 20 passenger) is about 750 USD a night, means it's 38 USD/person/night (that if you can gather 20 people) including all meals/snack/free flow coffee & tea during the trips. excluding National park Retribution, guides, Softdrink / fresh Juice aboard, snorkelling gears. Liveaboard at Komodo National Park is very close to the nature, priceless!

For 3D2N you visit Rica, Komodo, Manta Point, several snorkelling spots (Pink Beach, etc) and take the longest trekking trek at Rinca 'or' Komodo (can not both if only 3D2N trip). There are short, medium, and adventure trek for trekking at those islands.

Bali, Indonesia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some tips about Labuan Bajo

Hi J_hurclues,

I have seen your posts frequently over the last year about Indonesia. I have observed that you always provide a lot of relevant and interesting information.

I beg your pardon, but I would like to ask you my own question. We currently live in Bali. I plan to travel to Flores this month with my two children to see the island and of course do the "dragons". I am keen to get your insights on the island and who to do business with.

Please let me know if this is suitable for you. For this purpose, I have set-up a one-time use public email account tenindonesia@gmail.com. If you feel inclined to chat directly, let me know.

My apologies for the very direct comment!

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some tips about Labuan Bajo

If possible Tndtnd, could J_hurcules make these views public as my husband and I are considering Flores as an extension of a Bali trip this month as well?

We are middle aged and not requiring 5 star accommodation, just reasonably comfortable.

This has been a last minute thing so I am doing some quick research.

Thanks

Bali, Indonesia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some tips about Labuan Bajo

Hi,

I think this will be too late for you but I highly recommend the Bayview Gardens.

Cheers.

8. Re: Some tips about Labuan Bajo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 26, 2015